Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 12-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal
Default NKRD!

New KILLER rig day!!

I finally broke down and put together what is likely one of THE most powerful rigs I've ever owned (sort of a belated birthday gift to myself).

Its a Mesa Roadster head, on a modified 2x12 TC Electronic bass cab. The Roadster is 4 channel, with what is basically 2 "clean(er)" channels and 2 high gain channels. All the channels have separate Master, Presence, Bass, Mid, Treble and Gain controls. Each channel has 3 modes:
Channel 1: Clean, Fat & Tweed.
Channel 2: Clean, Fat & Brit.
Channel 3 & 4's modes are the same in both channels, though those channels are voiced differently: Raw, Vintage & Modern.

The front power switch has 2 settings, bold & spongy. It also has an 'overall' master volume that governs all 4 channels, and that CAN be switched out to basically make the Roadster 4 separate amps in one head box. Its got a nice adjustable "Solo boost" as well.

On the rear panel, all 4 channels have the following, and all are independent of the other 3 channels:
Reverb level, FX on/off, 50 or 100 watt output, and SS rectifier or tube rectifier.
It has other global stuff, like slave output, a toggle to adjust the bias voltage to switch between 6L6 or EL34 power tubes, separate FX loops for each channel, and an FX loop level.

The speaker bottom is something I decided to buy and convert to a 2x12 guitar cab, and it worked out fantastically, with some well received advice from our own PKVeazey (again, thanks, PK).

The cab originally had (2) 12" bass speakers, which got scrapped right away. It was also completely lined with "batting" (a dense insulation) on all interior surfaces. Initially, I had Atlas Modified hemp cone G12-80's in there and really didnt like what I was hearing.
It just didnt have the response I was looking for, kind of "woofy" and had a less than solid bass response.

Long story short (sorta) after PM'ing with PK, I removed the insulation, and it definitely changed the response for the better. I also sealed the front port (which used to house a tweeter) and found those red pipe plugs that allow me to use the rear ports, or run the cab completely sealed. It definitely changed the tone and response for the better. (There is a marked difference, depending on whether those plugs are in or out).
I found a seller on Ebay with a pair of Mesa EVM12L's (my favorite speaker on Earth) so I put them in the cab. Perfection!!
It was the removal of the batting, the cabs dimensions (27" wide x 18" deep x 16" tall) and those Mesa EVM12L's that made all the difference.
(Oh, yeah... I peeled off the TC Electronic logo off the bottom, and put a Mesa logo on it to make it look official. The head and cab tolex are the same, so they go together perfectly. I like it!!)

I started with EL34's, and the amp sounded solid and VERY ballsy, and had a kind of "super Marshall-y" flavor, which sounded great, but didnt really have the "right" tone in channels 1 & 2.
I swapped the EL34's for a quad of 6L6's, and now its perfect. All the channels sound absolutely killer. Channels 1 & 2 sound exactly as they should, with a nice fat tone, a shimmering top end, and can range from beautiful cleans to a nice fat crunch.

Channels 3 & 4 are unreal. I thought my Soldano SLO had punch and balls, but this amp is on another level. Punch, thump, volume and killer tone that exceeds most "great' amps on a good 4x12 cab, and MUCH more bottom end than anyone could possibly use.

Having all those options on the back and front panel seems like overkill, but it definitely all works as advertised, and its very easy to find a shit-ton of amazing tones.

(The last step?? Find a good blues/rock band near St. Augustine... not as easy as it sounds. Lots of hillbilly's wanna play Country music. I aint no hillbilly, and Fill dont do Country )

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #2
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Wow, that make my ears ring just looking at the pix Congratulations!
Old 12-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

Congrats, that is a beautiful outfit
stratstrummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Damn that looks impressive. Nice!!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

ohhhh nice!!! Man bet that sounds GOOD!!!
Old 12-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Wow nice amp. I kinda wish I had one of those. Is it heavy?
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Beastly yet sooo much toneage and coolness
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #8
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

I don't see any pictures. What am I doing wrong. BTW, I'm sure it's a great rig, but I'd really like to see pictures.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Looks delicious!
Old 12-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #10
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Nice! I've always some kind of Mesa.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote