Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 12-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #11
Z. Wolf
Central Scrutinizer

Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts

Holy Moley!.. looks killer!
Old 12-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #12
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Thank you to everyone for the nice comments!!

At the moment, my other amps are on the 'back wall' and this one is getting plugged into every time. Its most definitely NOT a "plug and play" rig. It IS possible to "go too far" on any given control, and they all seem very interactive. It wont sound so great if one control is set too "hot" (or cold) relative to other controls on the same channel, but the whole character of the amp changes depending on how any control is set, as long as the other controls balance the sound.

I didnt like that aspect of this amp at first, but its only because I really needed some time to "learn" the amp, but get them right, and its pretty eye opening. Since I've developed some "restraint" with the controls, Im really enjoying the hell out of this amp.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #13
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I won't be able to hear it, but it is beautiful! I bet it sounds too!

So, a bass cab can be used for guitar too?
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:11 PM   #14
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Boogies are like that, but once dialled in .... lookout!!! There is a definite learning curve but for those who are patient.....:Totally_jammin_ou t:
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #15
St.Fill

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
So, a bass cab can be used for guitar too?
I dont know if ANY bass cab is suitable for guitar, but the dimensions seemed right on this cab. As I said earlier, it didnt work too well at first, but once I started playing around with it by removing the insulation, plugging the front port, installing the EV's, and plugging the rear ports, it worked like a charm. I did those things one step at a time to see what I'd get with each change. Every one of them improved the sound.

Its approx the same dimensions as Mesa's 2-12 Rectifier cab. They're both around 27" wide, but instead of it being 18" tall and 12" deep like the Recto cab, its 16" tall and 18" deep. I didnt know for sure if that would work, but it certainly does work very well. Also, I got that cab pretty cheap ($300), so it was worth the gamble, IMO.

I havent decided if I like it better with or without those pipe plugs in the rear ports yet. The cab has a divider between the two speakers, but its not a completely sealed divider, so closing only one port wouldnt have a real significant effect right now. It sounds great (but different) with and without the plugs, so maybe a project WOULD be to completely close up the divider to isolate each speaker in the cab, and try using only one plug. Then it would be half ported and half sealed.

Now that Im thinking about it, I think tomorrows project might be to remove the back and try it fully open backed to see how that sounds. As much whomp as that amp has, I suspect its gonna like a closed back better, but one never knows, do one??

Old 12-21-2017, 12:18 AM   #16
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Wasn't the Fender Bassman meant for basses, with a 2x15 cab?

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:20 AM   #17
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Dumb question, but how could a 'bassman' not be made for a bass?
Old 12-21-2017, 01:32 AM   #18
St.Fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
There was a variation of the Bassman that used a 2-15 cab, but you might be thinking of the Dual Showman, which was much more common paired with a 2-15 cab.
The very earliest Bassmans were a single 15" combo, and in '54, Fender issued the 4-10 Bassman, which was maybe the best sounding amp ever made. They went thru a few variations after that, and around '69, Fender had a Bassman head that used a 2-15 cab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
Dumb question, but how could a 'bassman' not be made for a bass?
Haha, not a dumb question at all, cause you just about never see a bass player playing thru one!! Once guitar players heard the tone of an early Bassman with a guitar plugged into it, I dont think there were any of them left for the bass players, lol!!

A bazillion years ago, a guy I knew had a late '50's 4-10 tweed Bassman. Holy SHIT, that thing had a tone that was astonishing to the point of impossibility.
A turkey leg with strings on it would have sounded phenomenal thru that amp.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:08 AM   #19
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
There was a variation of the Bassman that used a 2-15 cab, but you might be thinking of the Dual Showman, which was much more common paired with a 2-15 cab.
The very earliest Bassmans were a single 15" combo, and in '54, Fender issued the 4-10 Bassman, which was maybe the best sounding amp ever made. They went thru a few variations after that, and around '69, Fender had a Bassman head that used a 2-15 cab.

Haha, not a dumb question at all, cause you just about never see a bass player playing thru one!! Once guitar players heard the tone of an early Bassman with a guitar plugged into it, I dont think there were any of them left for the bass players, lol!!

A bazillion years ago, a guy I knew had a late '50's 4-10 tweed Bassman. Holy SHIT, that thing had a tone that was astonishing to the point of impossibility.
A turkey leg with strings on it would have sounded phenomenal thru that amp.
oh wow interesting, but was it 'intended' for bass players, but turned out to be loved by guitar players instead?

A turkey leg playing, hey when did you see me playing? lol
Old 12-21-2017, 03:00 AM   #20
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Let's face it, we guitar players are all a little crazy. I'm just glad I'm not as into amps, as I am guitars.

On my Blues Deluxe, there's a recommended setting for a Bassman. Since I'm not sure what a Bassman sounds like, it doesn't matter much to me. The BD is a great amp, but too damn loud to play at home. Actually, I can when it's early enough because my neighbors below me are party girls, and sound generally doesn't travel that well to my neighbors. It's too loud for me. I have to put the amp in another room to crank it.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote