Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 12-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default Epiphone Les Paul Special II Goth Mod Project Log

Hello everyone! I decided to start a new thread for this mod project. As I mentioned in the other thread, I found this interesting and rare Epiphone Les Paul Special II Goth on Facebook. Met up with the person at 7 degrees fahrenheit and shook our hands at $60!

It looked like this when I got it:

I took off the pickguard...

I think I just got it just because of this:

Last edited by littlebadboy; 12-29-2017 at 07:25 PM.
littlebadboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I have Gibson gold knobs. Should I keep the black ones instead?

This is plywood, right? I got discouraged about it.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Hello everyone! I decided to start a new thread for this mod project. As I mentioned in the other thread, I found this interesting and rare Epiphone Les Paul Special II Goth on Facebook. Met up with the person at 7 degrees fahrenheit and shook our hands at $60!

It looked like this when I got it:

I took off the pickguard...

I think I just got it just because of this:

IMO ..much better
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
hippychip
Banned

hippychip Just getting started

If you are going to use the ugly gold knobs you might as well put the ugly pickguard back on! Leave it the way it is and play it!
hippychip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #5
littlebadboy

I'm thinking of just upgrading electronics:

Since the guitar is just plywood and cheap, I'm thinking of least cost upgrades. My plan is to just upgrade electronics. I think I want a 2 volume & switch circuit.
  • 1 volume for the bridge humbucker and 1 volume for the neck humbucker. I'm skipping tone controls because I don't use them anyway. If it comes up too bright, I can roll it down or put in a tone circuit (resisitor & capacitor?) anyway.
  • 3-way switch, switches to neck and bridge, but I'm thinking of skipping the middle. I don't use it either. Middle could be off.

What do you guys think about XGP Custom Taper Split Shaft Pot 1M- "No Load" from guitarfetish.com as volume pots? Only $4.95 each.

I'm not sure how my stock switch is... but I'm thinking of USA style Les Paul Toggle Switch- Black also from guitarfetish.com at $9.95.

2 no-load 1M vol pots + switch costs not more than $20.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by littlebadboy; 12-29-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
littlebadboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
P90's in a Goth guitar? That doesnt seem to make sense to the aesthetic of the guitar, LBB, not to mention that it currently has full size humbuckers. Unless you use "dog-ear" P90's you'll end up seeing the humbucker mounting ring holes, AND you're gonna run into clearance issues with the strings (especially when fretting) with dogear covers anyway.
As far as rail pickups, what full size rail pickups are you considering? I cant seem to find it right now, but didnt you mentioned that you'd be playing Djent music on that guitar? If thats the case, I assume you'd be looking for something in the very high output category?
I saw a humbucker sized P90 and loved the sound on the neck. I was thinking of humbucker on bridge and P90 on neck... but sounds complicated. Never mind.

This guitar will be left on drop-D tuning for chugga-chugga djent style. In the not so soon future, when I feel like it, I am considering Chinese or Artec Rails.

Donlis pickups are being talked about a lot over at the telecaster forum and has high regards, but takes awhile for shipping.

The Donlis rail humbuckers are only $35 for a set of neck and bridge, shipping included on aliexpress.

Features:
-Magnet: Ceramic bar
-Baseplate: Nickel silver
-2pcs 57mm steel pole piece, chrome color
-Very high output humbucking pickups, middle range tone powerful sound.
-Specifications:
Neck: 7.8K 3.8H
Bridge: 14.0K 9.7H
-Four output wires

I was considering Artec's Railmasters through caliguitar.com, but too expensive at $37+ each, but they are beautiful.

They have alnico 5, 14.6k on bridge and 9.2k on neck.

I think I'm going cheap for this cheap guitar, so I'm going for the Donlis.

Last edited by littlebadboy; 12-29-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
littlebadboy

Thanks six! Gotcha hippychip!
Old 12-29-2017, 07:58 PM   #8
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I used to have an Epiphone Les Paul Studio (black). It had knobs similar to those gold ones. I took them off and replaced them with black speed knobs like yours already has on it.

I also removed the pickguard.

The knob/switch layout is different on yours. I don't think I've ever seen a guitar with that layout...switch between the two knobs. Mine had 4 knobs and a switch on the upper bout.

My PRS has the switch below the knobs. My Danelectro has the switch above the knobs.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
hippychip
Banned

hippychip Just getting started

I'm not sure why you are so obsessed with modding a nice little guitar? I would at least play it for a few months before messing with the wiring---if it ain't broke, don't fix it---I had an Ebony Special II (not the Goth one), and loved everything about it except for the Cream colored plastic bits. I sold it to a friend for what I paid for it ($50) because he was without a guitar when his garage/studio burned down. If I find another cheap one I will not hesitate to grab it (only if it's BLACK)
hippychip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #10
littlebadboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
I'm not sure why you are so obsessed with modding a nice little guitar? I would at least play it for a few months before messing with the wiring---if it ain't broke, don't fix it---
Just wanted to improve the sound. I am thinking that the 1 meg vol pots will bring out the stock humbuckers' full potential. It's a less than $20 upgrade plus gfs has 10% discount for the season. As is, right now, it sounds ok. A sound demo will be up soon.

Last edited by littlebadboy; 12-29-2017 at 08:19 PM.