Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 12-30-2017, 12:12 AM   #1
JoshHPMusic
Musician

JoshHPMusic Just getting started
Default Speaker recommendations- Smoothening Out the H&K Tubemiester 18- also 12AT7?

Hi all,

I'm now on the search for a better speaker than the "V30" style thing that came in my Panama Guitars Tonewood Series 1x12" Cab. I have already replaced the tubes with Saratov's in the power section, and the best combo I've found in the preamp is a JJ ECC83S on the left (V1? is this correct?) and a TAD 7025WA on the right (V2?).

It's certainly sounding better, but I still want it to be a little smoother, more dynamic, richer. I think the best thing to do at this point is a speaker replacement on the Panama cab. Any recommendations?

I remember really liking something about how it felt to play the Fender George Benson Hot Rod, which I believe has Jensen in it, but by all means give me your recommendations for any speaker that will round this amp out.

Also, would it be a good idea to swap a preamp tube with something like a 12AT7 or 5751? I've heard this can really mellow out something like a Hot Rod Deluxe.

Thanks,
-Josh
JoshHPMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:32 AM   #2
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

I was hoping to offer some advice on your H&K, but then I saw the schematic and pics of the PCB.

My advice is... Clean it up real nice, take some well lit pictures, and sell it on craigslist along with your cab.

Save your money, and take the funds you've recouped from the H&K, and get the amplifier that you actually want. Looking through your posts, you appear to want a Bassman (or respectable clone like a Victoria).
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:59 PM   #3
JoshHPMusic
Musician

Any thoughts on the Blues Deville 212 vs. Blues Deluxe Reissue?
Old 12-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #4
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshHPMusic View Post
Hi all,

I'm now on the search for a better speaker than the "V30" style thing that came in my Panama Guitars Tonewood Series 1x12" Cab.
More or less, any speaker with a "hemp cone" will smooth out the highs. There is a seller on Ebay that goes by the name "Atlas Modified" that reconditions and recones (with hempcones) commonly used speakers. His speakers are relatively inexpensive as well.

I've used his Celestion G12-80 hempcone with great results in exactly the area you're referring to... smoothing out the high end, while holding together the low end well too.

Those Atlas Modified's did NOT work well (in the low end only) with my Mesa Roadster, but that amp has SO much low end, it'll fart out any speaker short of an EVM12L, or "maybe" a Celestion G12K-100 (I didnt try the G12K-100's with that amp, but they do have a VERY solid low end, but they also have a cutting, hot midrange and high end as well, which doesnt sound like what you're looking for).

G12K-100's work great with something like a good Marshall JCM800, or a Soldano SLO.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:56 PM   #5
JoshHPMusic
Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
More or less, any speaker with a "hemp cone" will smooth out the highs. There is a seller on Ebay that goes by the name "Atlas Modified" that reconditions and recones (with hempcones) commonly used speakers. His speakers are relatively inexpensive as well.

I've used his Celestion G12-80 hempcone with great results in exactly the area you're referring to... smoothing out the high end, while holding together the low end well too.

Those Atlas Modified's did NOT work well (in the low end only) with my Mesa Roadster, but that amp has SO much low end, it'll fart out any speaker short of an EVM12L, or "maybe" a Celestion G12K-100 (I didnt try the G12K-100's with that amp, but they do have a VERY solid low end, but they also have a cutting, hot midrange and high end as well, which doesnt sound like what you're looking for).

G12K-100's work great with something like a good Marshall JCM800, or a Soldano SLO.
But if I play loud enough, will it get me stoned?
Old 12-31-2017, 12:18 AM   #6
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I'm not sure how many people know this, but if you don't like the sound of your amp, you can get an electronics tech to put it on an oscilloscope and change the bias of the output tube/tubes and it will change the sound a bit and will change the output a bit as well. Crap, I once rebiased an amp just by ear and made it sound like I wanted it. Then again, I wanted glassy clean and late breakup. Most folks, in today's world, want early breakup and smoke pouring out the back.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:25 AM   #7
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
I'm not sure how many people know this, but if you don't like the sound of your amp, you can get an electronics tech to put it on an oscilloscope and change the bias of the output tube/tubes and it will change the sound a bit and will change the output a bit as well. Crap, I once rebiased an amp just by ear and made it sound like I wanted it. Then again, I wanted glassy clean and late breakup. Most folks, in today's world, want early breakup and smoke pouring out the back.
He has a H&K. This is one of those special cases where he 'literally' cannot do this. Schem linked in an above post. The bias is on a microcontroler.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:42 AM   #8
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshHPMusic View Post
But if I play loud enough, will it get me stoned?
Well, the stoner I play, the pick I harder, so... yep, I work that thinks.

Stuck, man... I am PHONED.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:35 AM   #9
JoshHPMusic
Musician

I did some research and it seems like maybe the WGS Blackhawk 50W Alnico, Weber Silver Bell Alnico, or a Scumback might be a good fit for a nice, smooth, warm sound?
Any opinions?

Thanks,
​​​​​​​-Josh