Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 01-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Fletcher_DD-537

Fletcher_DD-537 Just getting started
Default New Amplifier day!

Hey everyone!

The other day, I went and finally pulled the trigger on a new non-modelling amp. That's right- it's my first real tube amp!!

A Fender Bassbreaker 15 combo.

I love this thing already! Sounds fantastic, and it'll get LOUD if you let it. Has all the features I'd want, and even better- no option paralysis!

I like how they give you the option of connecting an extension cabinet IN ADDITION to the main speaker, or INSTEAD. plus a switch for the different impedance options. It also has a direct out, and a switch to mute the speaker if desired.

There's an effects loop, too.

But enough of the boring stuff. On to the amp itself! Dead simple to use- especially for us modelling amp guys. Gain; 3 position gain stage pot; bass mids treble; Master Volume and Reverb. Other than that, an on/off switch, and a mute/play switch (and the power light strobes to tell you the speaker is muted). Just plug in and play. Oh, and a bright switch.

I immediately hooked up my pedal tuner, and my MXR Hendrix Univibe to the front, and a Tremolo in the loop. (gotta have my tremolo)

The tone from this amp is awesome. No need to futz around, either- just plug in and it sounds good. Because I'm me, I did fool around with the gain options a bit, and stumbled upon a fantastic sound accidentally while trying to find a nice creamy overdrive at a reasonable volume.

Medium gain with gain knob at appx 1:30. Eq with bass and treble at 2, mids at noonish. reverb on half Master volume at 3:00. Guitar volume rolled way off.

Gibson SG 50's Tribute with P-90's neck pickup.

Gives a massive, chimey as heck pushed clean tone just on the verge. Very touch sensitive, and a really, really REALLY great sound. Not quite what I was looking for, but it made me forget all about that, lol.

On the whole, I'd say the Bassbreaker gives Fendery clean and low gain crunch sounds and Marshally overdrive and distortion tones. It'll definitely give you that howling, feedbacky lead tone we all love, lol. Plus it takes pedals well.

The tones I've come to expect from a brand F amp- and a whole lot of extra crunch!

2 thumbs WAYYY up!!

Anyone else have one of these?

As an aside, trying this out alongside my Mustang III- the Mustang comes pretty darn close to capturing most of the "feel" of a good tube amp. Pretty impressive that they could do that in such an inexpensive package- AND include all the other goodies it has. It just takes work to set it up just the way you like it. The new HD version they came out with? Not even close... They chose to focus on all the modern goodies, instead of the sound.
Fletcher_DD-537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm not familiar with the Fender Bassbreaker 15 combo. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH2TFx1xRN0

It sounds pretty good in this video. I wish it had a built in tuner.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
Fletcher_DD-537

Fletcher_DD-537 Just getting started

I know- it's the one thing I REALLY miss about my Mustang. That tuner is way too convenient!

Now I just use a Snark pedal tuner. Dirt cheap, and it's virtually the same thing. Just takes up a spot on my pedal power supply...

You should look up Johan Segeborn's Youtube videos on these. You'll thank me. The freaking sounds he pulls from them, lol!

Last edited by Fletcher_DD-537; 01-01-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Fletcher_DD-537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Congrats, sounds like a awesome amp. Nothing better than getting something like that, and having it EXCEED your expectations!
Old 01-02-2018, 02:34 AM   #5
BeachComber
Banned

BeachComber Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher_DD-537 View Post
Hey everyone!

The other day, I went and finally pulled the trigger on a new non-modelling amp. That's right- it's my first real tube amp!!

A Fender Bassbreaker 15 combo.

I love this thing already! Sounds fantastic, and it'll get LOUD if you let it. Has all the features I'd want, and even better- no option paralysis!

I like how they give you the option of connecting an extension cabinet IN ADDITION to the main speaker, or INSTEAD. plus a switch for the different impedance options. It also has a direct out, and a switch to mute the speaker if desired.

There's an effects loop, too.

But enough of the boring stuff. On to the amp itself! Dead simple to use- especially for us modelling amp guys. Gain; 3 position gain stage pot; bass mids treble; Master Volume and Reverb. Other than that, an on/off switch, and a mute/play switch (and the power light strobes to tell you the speaker is muted). Just plug in and play. Oh, and a bright switch.

I immediately hooked up my pedal tuner, and my MXR Hendrix Univibe to the front, and a Tremolo in the loop. (gotta have my tremolo)

The tone from this amp is awesome. No need to futz around, either- just plug in and it sounds good. Because I'm me, I did fool around with the gain options a bit, and stumbled upon a fantastic sound accidentally while trying to find a nice creamy overdrive at a reasonable volume.

Medium gain with gain knob at appx 1:30. Eq with bass and treble at 2, mids at noonish. reverb on half Master volume at 3:00. Guitar volume rolled way off.

Gibson SG 50's Tribute with P-90's neck pickup.

Gives a massive, chimey as heck pushed clean tone just on the verge. Very touch sensitive, and a really, really REALLY great sound. Not quite what I was looking for, but it made me forget all about that, lol.

On the whole, I'd say the Bassbreaker gives Fendery clean and low gain crunch sounds and Marshally overdrive and distortion tones. It'll definitely give you that howling, feedbacky lead tone we all love, lol. Plus it takes pedals well.

The tones I've come to expect from a brand F amp- and a whole lot of extra crunch!

2 thumbs WAYYY up!!

Anyone else have one of these?

As an aside, trying this out alongside my Mustang III- the Mustang comes pretty darn close to capturing most of the "feel" of a good tube amp. Pretty impressive that they could do that in such an inexpensive package- AND include all the other goodies it has. It just takes work to set it up just the way you like it. The new HD version they came out with? Not even close... They chose to focus on all the modern goodies, instead of the sound.
Congrats. I was like you when I finally got a "real" tube amp. I suddenly realized how good my guitar sounded and how much fun it was to play with NO effects.
BeachComber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:33 AM   #6
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

The rule here is... Pictures, or didn't happen.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote