Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 10-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title
Default Soldiering irons.

C'mon you knew it was coming.

Just reading temperature is more important consideration than wattage, and a 60/40 mix of tin, and lead being optimum

I've been looking at the stations/holders you get, tip shapes, and best solder diameter.

What's everyone's using, and things they found useful?. I have a few cheap guitars I'll be practicing on before working on my main.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I have a 25 watt pencil soldering iron from Radio Shack and it works well for electronics. I use rosin core solder for electronics likely purchased at Radio Shack. The solder is a thin wire about the size of wire in a paper clip. I made a soldering iron stand from a couple blocks of wood and wire from a coat hanger.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I use a tall glass jar which used to be a spaghetti sauce jar as my soldering stand. Is that bad?
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

If it works then it works.

I avoid glass because it breaks into sharp fragments if I drop it.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #5
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
I use a tall glass jar which used to be a spaghetti sauce jar as my soldering stand. Is that bad?
If you stick the iron in when you first open it, you can save cleaning a pot.

This is the iron I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Seems reliable enough. I got a bunch of different tips too.

I found this indispensible: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I find these useful: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And a good wire stripper.

Great tip I found: if you have an impossibly thin wire to strip, put a lighter under it, and burn the sheathing off.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

I use an Aven 400 Series 60 watt variable temp station for more precise applications. It goes from dead cold to 350 degrees C in about 25 seconds and variable up to 800 degrees, but for guitar/amp wiring, I generally keep it at 375 degrees and use 60/40 rosin.

I also use a 900 watt Weller soldering gun for quick solder jobs that don't require me to fit into small places and use that mostly for 12-14 gauge speaker wires.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I use an Aven 400 Series 60 watt variable temp station for more precise applications. It goes from dead cold to 350 degrees C in about 25 seconds and variable up to 800 degrees, but for guitar/amp wiring, I generally keep it at 375 degrees and use 60/40 rosin.

I also use a 900 watt Weller soldering gun for quick solder jobs that don't require me to fit into small places and use that mostly for 12-14 gauge speaker wires.
There, now that is deluxe! I used to use a similar setup at work years ago (I was an electronics bench tech for many years, component level repair on circuit boards). That with a clean tinned tip will create perfect solder joints when one has the hang of soldering.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #8
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
I have a 25 watt pencil soldering iron from Radio Shack and it works well for electronics. I use rosin core solder for electronics likely purchased at Radio Shack. The solder is a thin wire about the size of wire in a paper clip. I made a soldering iron stand from a couple blocks of wood and wire from a coat hanger.
The rosin solder seems quite popular. Great with diy holder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Im going to go irresponsible, and say yes thats good lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
If it works then it works.

I avoid glass because it breaks into sharp fragments if I drop it.
HAHA...yes glass tends to do that...good un.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post

This is the iron I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Seems reliable enough. I got a bunch of different tips too.

I found this indispensible: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great tip I found: if you have an impossibly thin wire to strip, put a lighter under it, and burn the sheathing off.
Thanks for the links.

I do like the kits you can buy rather than just buying the solder on its own. Does the de solder pen work?.

I like those helping hands, and have seen a few use them.

That shrink tubing is a good thing to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

Dman thats a top o the ranger.

Thanks guys.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #9
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Desolder pen? You talking about the solder sucker? Only so-so. It's decent for desoldering. The solder wick may work better, but I haven't tried it yet. I made a hot mess when I did the pups on my CV with a cheap iron.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #10
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post

That lens thingy is something I should have! With my bad old eyes,and I was just guessing where I stick my tip at and where my solder is touching. And, why didn't anyone tell me there's plastic shrink wraps?!! I hate wrapping my tiny unshielded ground wires with electrical tape!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote