Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 07-18-2017, 12:05 AM   #51
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

If you've never built a guitar before, there are a whole lot of things that you will need to consider. The first thing to decide is what wood you want the body made of. Picking the wood can be tricky because if its dense it will be heavy but give you good sustain. If its soft it will be light weight but have less sustain. The wood density will also effect the darkness or lightness of the tone. When I built my guitar, I had to decide if I wanted to sacrifice sustain by putting a vibrato bridge or go with a hard tail. I went with the hard tail because the sustain gets lost in the tailpiece springs. Also you'll have to find a neck with lots of grain and no grain run out or you'll lose more sustain. Then you'll have to decide on single or double truss rod and how many frets and what material the frets should be made of, Skinny frets or Fat frets, Short frets or Tall frets. Nut material and nut width. Compound or Single Fretboard Radius. The pickups should be the last thing you decide but they will be equally important. Then you'll need to decide if you are going to wire it standard (Parallel) or Exotic (Series). Check out the WARMOTH website and they have an app that lets you build exactly what you want and it shows you a picture of it as you progress. You've got your work cut out for you but if you build exactly what you want, it will be an instrument you can be proud of.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:30 AM   #52
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Angel is beautiful! Congratulations!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #53
HawkHunt

HawkHunt Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
If you've never built a guitar before, there are a whole lot of things that you will need to consider. The first thing to decide is what wood you want the body made of. Picking the wood can be tricky because if its dense it will be heavy but give you good sustain. If its soft it will be light weight but have less sustain. The wood density will also effect the darkness or lightness of the tone. When I built my guitar, I had to decide if I wanted to sacrifice sustain by putting a vibrato bridge or go with a hard tail. I went with the hard tail because the sustain gets lost in the tailpiece springs. Also you'll have to find a neck with lots of grain and no grain run out or you'll lose more sustain. Then you'll have to decide on single or double truss rod and how many frets and what material the frets should be made of, Skinny frets or Fat frets, Short frets or Tall frets. Nut material and nut width. Compound or Single Fretboard Radius. The pickups should be the last thing you decide but they will be equally important. Then you'll need to decide if you are going to wire it standard (Parallel) or Exotic (Series). Check out the WARMOTH website and they have an app that lets you build exactly what you want and it shows you a picture of it as you progress. You've got your work cut out for you but if you build exactly what you want, it will be an instrument you can be proud of.
Thanks for the advice, the guitar is already done though lol!
HawkHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #54
HawkHunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Angel is beautiful! Congratulations!
Thanks a lot for the kind words, from you and from others!
Old 07-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #55
HawkHunt

So, I got her back after 2 weeks waiting. There is a small Luthiers shop in this city who make: guitars, bass-guitars and double basses. I spent 150 euro to have the frets leveled, Nut carved, Neck checked, Frets polished and checked, Nut shape reworked and a whole lot of other things one might do in maintenance , and on top of that they redrilled some holes and filled in a small mistake slot on the nut.
I didn't think it would make SUCH a difference to have a pro luthier do it but, BOY WAS I WRONG!

This thing basically plays itself, it is my favourite guitar BY FAR.

So a little note to fellow DIYers like me, Build the whole thing and leave the nut and the setup to the pro's if you dont have the tools. Its Worth around 19 times the money just by how well a guitar plays after a pro has a look at it.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #56
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started

Nice guitar. Glad you have it to your liking now. That's a good feeling I'm sure.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #57
Germs

Germs Just getting started

That guitar is beautiful. Good job, Hawk.
Germs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #58
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Congrats - that's a beauty!

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #59
HawkHunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Nice guitar. Glad you have it to your liking now. That's a good feeling I'm sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germs View Post
That guitar is beautiful. Good job, Hawk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Congrats - that's a beauty!
Thanks guys! Its a Monster guitar!
For those of you that wanted to hear it!

LISTEN HERE!!!!!!
https://soundcloud.com/user-236700706/angel-noodling

Disclaimer, I am no John Mayer and no Jimi Hendrix. I did my best on their songs but this recording was just a bit of fun. ENJOY!