Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #11
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
I'm going to check that box out. I'm looking for something that I can run a chrome or firefox browser, use a cheap wireless keyboard and mouse and HDMI out to my TV.

I have a FireTV but I have stuff I want to watch that requires login and std browser.
There's a built in browser, and I haven't bothered with another. Even with a wireless keyboard, I personally find it a hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post
I put the add-ons on for peoples boxes when they don't work. The third party apps( illegal) have taken a hammering with tvaddons taken down. Don't know if you have the same add-ons over there, but the likes of phoenix, Exodus, Istream etc are gone. The creaters of the add-ons have been threatened with legal action, and to be honest I don't blame them for packing them in. The ones who put up these add-ons do it in their spare time so not worth it.

Over here it's the likes of the premier league football in partnership with sky/virgin who have gone after these third party apps, and putting pressure on Kodi to do something about it. It's not their fault the software is being used like it is as it's open source so there's a lot of difficulty with it.

They closed a lot of shops for selling fully loaded boxes in the UK. I think they are a waste of time, and partly to blame for drawing attention to it. As you may know you can download the Kodi software, and install your own add-ons.
The box I linked (I have the 2 gig memory model) came preloaded with Kodi, Exodus and a bunch of other apps. The developers of Exodus supposedly left because of legal problems, but there's now Covenant. I understand in the UK they've been cracking down, but not yet over here.

For anyone interested in cord-cutting, just google the term. I'd suggest checking the law in your area, just to be safe. I haven't found a single thing that says what I'm doing is illegal where I am. I've discovered there's a messload of people where I work doing the same thing, but they didn't advertise it. Now, we talk about the best apps. I was able to watch the Mayweather/McGregor fight through an app I found the day of the fight, after trying to catch streams on Youtube.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #12
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post

The box I linked (I have the 2 gig memory model) came preloaded with Kodi, Exodus and a bunch of other apps. The developers of Exodus supposedly left because of legal problems, but there's now Covenant. I understand in the UK they've been cracking down, but not yet over here.

For anyone interested in cord-cutting, just google the term. I'd suggest checking the law in your area, just to be safe. I haven't found a single thing that says what I'm doing is illegal where I am. I've discovered there's a messload of people where I work doing the same thing, but they didn't advertise it. Now, we talk about the best apps. I was able to watch the Mayweather/McGregor fight through an app I found the day of the fight, after trying to catch streams on Youtube.
Exodus still works for you?. I think they changed their url after the crackdown here.

I thought when they shut down the main add-ons here I thought that's it we had a good run, but there's some excellent replacements such as the Covenant you mentioned. Bob unleashed is very good. I wonder if it's run by forum bob lol.

As for cord cutting I would love to here, but wife likes her soaps, and live TV. We have to pay for a license that funds the BBC of all things. What a waste of money, most hate paying it. If you do decide to cord cut here you have to prove that your set is not receiving 'live' TV.

Funny thing with the boxing. I always look on Kodi see if I can get a good picture without lag, and found a good one on McGregor/may. I still payed for it on sky as wasn't sure if I'd get uninterrupted veiwing. I found links on Facebook, etc for the fights, but still like it on the big screen.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #13
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Exodus still works for you?. I think they changed their url after the crackdown here.

I thought when they shut down the main add-ons here I thought that's it we had a good run, but there's some excellent replacements such as the Covenant you mentioned. Bob unleashed is very good. I wonder if it's run by forum bob lol.

As for cord cutting I would love to here, but wife likes her soaps, and live TV. We have to pay for a license that funds the BBC of all things. What a waste of money, most hate paying it. If you do decide to cord cut here you have to prove that your set is not receiving 'live' TV.

Funny thing with the boxing. I always look on Kodi see if I can get a good picture without lag, and found a good one on McGregor/may. I still payed for it on sky as wasn't sure if I'd get uninterrupted veiwing. I found links on Facebook, etc for the fights, but still like it on the big screen.
Yeah, Exodus still works. It's just that the developers walked away from it. I think the app is just a gateway to streams that provide content. If Covenant doesn't work, I go back to Exodus. Weird thing is, both apps knows what the other is doing. If I started one program on one app, and happen to change apps, it asks me whether I want to resume where I left off, or start from beginning.

I can get live local channels over the air, and can even record and save to a flash drive.

There's another Kodi app- Mobdro- where you can get lives streams of most any channel.

Show Box- the one with 3 yellow arrows at the top isn't bad either, but the other apps I use are pretty damn reliable.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #14
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Yeah, Exodus still works. It's just that the developers walked away from it. I think the app is just a gateway to streams that provide content. If Covenant doesn't work, I go back to Exodus. Weird thing is, both apps knows what the other is doing. If I started one program on one app, and happen to change apps, it asks me whether I want to resume where I left off, or start from beginning.

I can get live local channels over the air, and can even record and save to a flash drive.

There's another Kodi app- Mobdro- where you can get lives streams of most any channel.

Show Box- the one with 3 yellow arrows at the top isn't bad either, but the other apps I use are pretty damn reliable.
I did breifly look into making an addon. You got to have some idea of that kind of thing, but never had the Patience. One24215 was a great add-on. Covered everything, and some great concerts, and documentaries. The guy who built the add-on had to go it alone after Phoenix, but wasn't the same after. Links not working, and he changed the style of it.

I think that's a great feature to watch a film half way through, and it will resume (if you choose) no matter what add-on you using. You say app I say add-on lol.

I've not tried to record yet, but maybe should get into the habit of its something really worth keeping. I wouldn't bother with films, but would with the music docs. What are you using for recording?.

My stepfather uses Mobdro for the sports. It's been around awhile that one, but still good. I couldn't get Showbox working, but it's another good one I've heard.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #15
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
I did breifly look into making an addon. You got to have some idea of that kind of thing, but never had the Patience. One24215 was a great add-on. Covered everything, and some great concerts, and documentaries. The guy who built the add-on had to go it alone after Phoenix, but wasn't the same after. Links not working, and he changed the style of it.

I think that's a great feature to watch a film half way through, and it will resume (if you choose) no matter what add-on you using. You say app I say add-on lol.

I've not tried to record yet, but maybe should get into the habit of its something really worth keeping. I wouldn't bother with films, but would with the music docs. What are you using for recording?.

My stepfather uses Mobdro for the sports. It's been around awhile that one, but still good. I couldn't get Showbox working, but it's another good one I've heard.
I use this to record OTA channels only: https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Vie...cm_cr-mr-title There's no need for me to record anything else. For a better description, I have the top review as "Guitar Playing Guy." For less than $40, It works great, and at least over here, when you view channels OTA, you can get "in-between" channels. E.g, CBS would be channel 2 if you had cable. OTA, that's 2.1. Then, there's 2.2, 2.3 etc. Lots of interesting stuff for free, like classic movies, or TV shows. The PVR has a usb port for a flash or HDD, and I can playback almost any digital format.

You're right, for Kodi, it's add-ons. There were a crapload preloaded on the box I have. I can load anything on my phone into the android box. The android box I have has 2 usb ports. Should I want to install an add-on, I d/l the zip file to a usb stick, then install from there, instead of typing the url and all that time consuming stuff.

Pirate stations are on YT now, so if I want to watch the news, I just go to YT, which is easier than finding a live stream in Kodi, which can be hit or miss for the news at least.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #16
Jase
Principe del Galles

Thanks for the link I'll look into it.

I found most of the preloaded add-ons were either not working or useless. I'll do a fresh start on Kodi, and just have a few on I like. Do you have the wireless keyboard?. Yeah it's a bit time consuming putting the URLs in manually, but I'm used to it. There used to be a repo( superrepo I think) where you had all the top add-ons in one place, but these days you got to search for them tut.

They took Fox news off sky here as they said not enough veiwers, but I'll do what you do, and go YT if I need.

So you cut the cord completely?. Like I was saying I'd love to stop paying sky, and TV licence.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #17
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Thanks for the link I'll look into it.

I found most of the preloaded add-ons were either not working or useless. I'll do a fresh start on Kodi, and just have a few on I like. Do you have the wireless keyboard?. Yeah it's a bit time consuming putting the URLs in manually, but I'm used to it. There used to be a repo( superrepo I think) where you had all the top add-ons in one place, but these days you got to search for them tut.

They took Fox news off sky here as they said not enough veiwers, but I'll do what you do, and go YT if I need.

So you cut the cord completely?. Like I was saying I'd love to stop paying sky, and TV licence.
Yeah, the box I have came with a wireless keyboard. It's supposed to work in place of the remote, but I find the touchpad flaky, so I've only used it to type in stuff.

There's an upgrade to Exodus that probably can still be found, and Covenant is called a "fork" to Exodus (whatever that means). I think Covenant is dependent on Exodus, so maybe that's how the 2 know what the other is doing.

I find downloading any repos to flash drive, then installing it from the drive about 100x faster than trying to type in urls.

There was a preloaded app that allows me to pull in news by country, but those streams can be slow. But yeah, I cut the cord completely after I saw what this box can do. I'm an Amazon Prime member, so that's the only thing I'm technically paying for.

You may have to install a vpn on your end, not to mention googling possible legal problems.

If you have an android phone, you can install Kodi there. I did it just to experiment with add-ons.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #18
Jase
Principe del Galles

Quote:
Yeah, the box I have came with a wireless keyboard. It's supposed to work in place of the remote, but I find the touchpad flaky, so I've only used it to type in stuff.

There's an upgrade to Exodus that probably can still be found, and Covenant is called a "fork" to Exodus (whatever that means). I think Covenant is dependent on Exodus, so maybe that's how the 2 know what the other is doing.

I find downloading any repos to flash drive, then installing it from the drive about 100x faster than trying to type in urls.

There was a preloaded app that allows me to pull in news by country, but those streams can be slow. But yeah, I cut the cord completely after I saw what this box can do. I'm an Amazon Prime member, so that's the only thing I'm technically paying for.

You may have to install a vpn on your end, not to mention googling possible legal problems.

If you have an android phone, you can install Kodi there. I did it just to experiment with add-ons.
I bought a keyboard separate as the ones I've had free with the box were shit. The battery operated ones have a cheap feel to them, and the cursor is all over the place. The singles are a bit more expensive, but rechargeable, and work OK for me. I think the proxy controler is to basically get it going, but what a Nightmare for typing ha.

Oh?...Reminds me of one called Spector folk I tried installing they were raving about. Yeah I've heard of using a VPN. I was a bit wary thinking it's not needed. People here have had letters through the door saying about suspicious activity, but yet to hear of anyone getting more than that. I remember years ago tweaking the cable that was operated by a dial. New tech soon put a stop to that. Anyways I'm confused about the actual laws here, and the software is not the problem, but the third party apps. I know another who had a letter for torrents.

I usually download the repository for the repos didn't know you could snag them singly. I've got Kodi on PC, works as it should. I did try, and install on my old phone, but not enough memory. No reason why it shouldn't work on a decent phone?.

This thread should be locked...It's your fault.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #19
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
I bought a keyboard separate as the ones I've had free with the box were shit. The battery operated ones have a cheap feel to them, and the cursor is all over the place. The singles are a bit more expensive, but rechargeable, and work OK for me. I think the proxy controler is to basically get it going, but what a Nightmare for typing ha.

Oh?...Reminds me of one called Spector folk I tried installing they were raving about. Yeah I've heard of using a VPN. I was a bit wary thinking it's not needed. People here have had letters through the door saying about suspicious activity, but yet to hear of anyone getting more than that. I remember years ago tweaking the cable that was operated by a dial. New tech soon put a stop to that. Anyways I'm confused about the actual laws here, and the software is not the problem, but the third party apps. I know another who had a letter for torrents.

I usually download the repository for the repos didn't know you could snag them singly. I've got Kodi on PC, works as it should. I did try, and install on my old phone, but not enough memory. No reason why it shouldn't work on a decent phone?.

This thread should be locked...It's your fault.
The included KB was pretty much what they offer singly at a higher price. The cursor does jump all over the place, but good for typing.

I discovered repos could be downloaded as a zip file, so I just find it faster through my pc. Then I plug the flash drive into the android box, and navigate to the the drive and select "install from zip file" or something.

The VPN I have works outside of the Kodi environment (I think).

Far's the legality, google "is it legal to stream kodi in x?"

Amazon is pretty good at following the law, and streaming seems to be in a gray zone. Pepper spray is legal here, but it's not legal to buy it through the mail; you have to go to a physical store. So Amazon won't mail it to NYers. Bottom line is, it'll fall on the individual if laws suddenly change.

I can buy a gun through the internet, but not pepper spray. Now the thread can be closed haha.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:40 AM   #20
Dirt

Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Narcos and Ozark on Netflix, anyone?
Enjoyed watching the first season of Ozark

Watched the first episode of Narco, and quickly grew tired of having to speed-read captions in order to translate the Spanish dialog to English…..………...Looks to be an interesting and well done series, but it’s just weird that the narration is spoken in English, yet 90% of the dialog is spoken in Spanish.

Having to read the dialog definitely takes away from my viewing pleasure. If they're gonna make me read the entire story, I think I’d rather read the book
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote