zanshin777

zanshin777 Just getting started
Default Cents in Tuning?

What does "Cents" mean in Tuning?
zanshin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

I think it takes 1200 Cents to raise a full semi-tone. Cents are the units of tuning accuracy. I read once that most human can not tell a difference of 5 cents. So if you want to raise a guitar string by a semi-tone and you only raise it 1195 cents in pitch then you most likely would not be able to tell the difference. It's like 4 quarts make a gallon, 3 feet make a yard, 100 pennies make a dollar and 1200 cents in pitch will raise a full semi-tone.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
zanshin777

"Twelve-tone equal temperament divides the octave into 12 semitones of 100 cents each. Typically, cents are used to express small intervals, or to compare the sizes of comparable intervals in different tuning systems, and in fact the interval of one cent is too small to be heard between successive notes."

I checked it from Wiki. It says semi-tone is 100 cents.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Yes, a cent is 1/100 of a semitone, 1200 cents to an octave. - But I think that the term is only used for the equal temperament intonation that we commonly use in Western music.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanshin777 View Post
"Twelve-tone equal temperament divides the octave into 12 semitones of 100 cents each. Typically, cents are used to express small intervals, or to compare the sizes of comparable intervals in different tuning systems, and in fact the interval of one cent is too small to be heard between successive notes."

I checked it from Wiki. It says semi-tone is 100 cents.

Thanks.
My bad.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #6
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Anyway, if the question was asked in case you're setting intonation, I try to get each string to...3 cents? You can go crazy getting spot on especially if you're using a little electronic tuner because the needle just wobbles all over the place. I'm not going to invest in a strobe tuner, but the 2 times I did- holy cow it was amazing how dead on my intonation was.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #7
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

*the 2 times i paid for a pro setup I mean.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #8
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:44 AM   #9
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Or maybe the original question was more basic. A given note is a specific frequency and is measured in Hertz. If you double the frequency (Hertz), you have a one octave change. The low E string is 82.4 Hz. The E note at fret 2 of the D string is 164.8 Hz and the high E string is 329.6 Hz. It might seem simple to use Hz when talking about tuning, as in, the "tuning is off 10 Hz", but 10 Hz is a lot on the low E string, but not so much on the high E string. So, the term "cents" was created, that is actually a ratio of frequencies. There are sites you can find on the Internet that explain it clearly, but basically one cent is one "percent" error in the tuning, regardless of the frequency being tuned.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:03 AM   #10
zanshin777

Interesting. Thanks for the input.