Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started
Default Ebay

I haven't had a reason to use Ebay to sell musical instruments for a while but I'm back on there now and will be selling more items as well.

I noticed that if you sell something at a fixed price (Buy Me Now) that you now have no choice but to have the "Make an Offer" button available. In the past you could choose to offer that option or not.

My listings haven't been up for all that long (no sales or offers yet) and I'm just curious as to what your recent experiences have been. Is it still fairly easy to sell musical instruments (used) on Ebay?

I used to buy and sell used guitars on Ebay fairly often (when I first got back into guitars) and they seemed to sell fairly quickly. I was selling more popular items then however.

I'm just curious as to what your recent selling experiences have been on Ebay?

Last edited by Seattle; 09-14-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
FillmoreNYC
Kung Fu Chicken

FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
I haven't had a reason to use Ebay to sell musical instruments for a while but I'm back on there now and will be selling more items as well.

I noticed that if you sell something at a fixed price (Buy Me Now) that you now have no choice but to have the "Make an Offer" button available. In the past you could choose to offer that option or not.

My listings haven't been up for all that long (no sales or offers yet) and I'm just curious as to what your recent experiences have been. Is it still fairly easy to sell musical instruments (used) on Ebay?

I used to buy and sell used guitars on Ebay fairly often (when I first got back into guitars) and they seemed to sell fairly quickly. I was selling more popular items then however.

I'm just curious as to what your recent selling experiences have been on Ebay?
In the "Selling Details" field, you have the "Format" option (whether specifying a "fixed price" or an "auction start" price). Since you select "Fixed price" (which is "Buy It Now"), immediately below where you enter the "Buy It Now" price is "Best Offer" with a box you can either choose to click or not click.
It indicates "Let buyers make offers. Being flexible with your price may help your item sell faster".

That is how you choose whether to allow buyers to make an offer or not.

(If, by some chance you did NOT select "Fixed Price" in the "Format" field, and that field indicates "Auction", the "Best Offer" box will not appear. That may be why you're not seeing it?
If you toggle back and forth between "Auction" and "Fixed Price" in the "Format" field, you'll see the option for "Best Offer" disappear and reappear).

There's no sense in being a damn fool about it.
FillmoreNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Have you tried reverb? I kinda liked selling there better.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillmoreNYC View Post
In the "Selling Details" field, you have the "Format" option (whether specifying a "fixed price" or an "auction start" price). Since you select "Fixed price" (which is "Buy It Now"), immediately below where you enter the "Buy It Now" price is "Best Offer" with a box you can either choose to click or not click.
It indicates "Let buyers make offers. Being flexible with your price may help your item sell faster".

That is how you choose whether to allow buyers to make an offer or not.

(If, by some chance you did NOT select "Fixed Price" in the "Format" field, and that field indicates "Auction", the "Best Offer" box will not appear. That may be why you're not seeing it?
If you toggle back and forth between "Auction" and "Fixed Price" in the "Format" field, you'll see the option for "Best Offer" disappear and reappear).
You don't have that option now. It's just "Buy Me Now" + "Make an Offer".
Old 09-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Have you tried reverb? I kinda liked selling there better.
I've bought a few things from there but I haven't sold anything. I've noticed some sellers selling the same thing on both Ebay and Reverb. I guess that's OK as long as you immediately end one after the sale on the other one?

What did you find better (as a seller) about Reverb?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #6
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Sorry, can't help, but posting as a placeholder. I swore I'd put some gear up on ebay this summer, but that didn't happen. I have pedals to get rid of too.

I think with the "make an offer" option, you can always decline, right? Anyway, that's how I scored the PRS pups, by making an offer towards the end of the auction. ~$60 for the VB/HFS pups is a pretty good deal imo.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
I've bought a few things from there but I haven't sold anything. I've noticed some sellers selling the same thing on both Ebay and Reverb. I guess that's OK as long as you immediately end one after the sale on the other one?

What did you find better (as a seller) about Reverb?
I got paid immediately through reverb and they charge lesser sellers fee.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #8
FillmoreNYC
Kung Fu Chicken

FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
You don't have that option now. It's just "Buy Me Now" + "Make an Offer".
I dont know why you cant do that... when I posted that this morning, I clicked into my sellers acct and it was right there. I've sold off at least 6 pieces in the last 3 months and all of them were listed as "Buy It Now" with the option to make an offer. One amp sold almost immediately with the "BIN", and all the other items sold with me accepting an offer.

There's no sense in being a damn fool about it.
FillmoreNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:29 PM   #9
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Sorry, can't help, but posting as a placeholder. I swore I'd put some gear up on ebay this summer, but that didn't happen. I have pedals to get rid of too.

I think with the "make an offer" option, you can always decline, right? Anyway, that's how I scored the PRS pups, by making an offer towards the end of the auction. ~$60 for the VB/HFS pups is a pretty good deal imo.
Yes, you can decline. The only issue is that when you have the make an offer option there it looks like you are willing to sell for less when you may have already listed your lowest price.

I've heard that some people think that is rude and then trash you in your rating.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:30 PM   #10
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillmoreNYC View Post
I dont know why you cant do that... when I posted that this morning, I clicked into my sellers acct and it was right there. I've sold off at least 6 pieces in the last 3 months and all of them were listed as "Buy It Now" with the option to make an offer. One amp sold almost immediately with the "BIN", and all the other items sold with me accepting an offer.
Could you go to revise your account right now and change it to Buy Me Now only? I can't.