Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 07-14-2017, 02:38 AM   #1
Big John

Big John Just getting started
Default Double booked!

Another tale from the road...

Just had a gig cancelled due to double booking. I even called the joint earlier in the week to confirm, which they did. Gig is scheduled for the last Saturday of the month.

Anyway, today I created a Facebook "event" to promote the gig, and I promptly got another call from the bar saying hey, whoa, wait a minute, we just saw your post on Facebook and we have another band booked that night.

Not the first time, probably not the last, but...shucks.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:32 AM   #2
rdouglas

rdouglas Just getting started

How does that happen? Well, at least enjoy your night off.
rdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:51 AM   #3
Big John

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdouglas View Post
How does that happen?
Who knows? Could have been an honest mistake where one bartender books one band while the other bartender books another.

The moral of the story though: call, email, etc. leading up to the gig. It would have SUCKED WAY WORSE if we had showed up and another band was there...which has also happened to me before. LOL.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
BeachBill

BeachBill Just getting started

Post around Facebook that you are "suddenly" available.
A local duo had a gig cancelled - last minute - last weekend because of an electrical problem closing the place where they were booked (sucks for the owner, too, because this is the busiest month of the year in this resort area). They posted all over FB and they ended up getting a gig for that night. Ya never know.
BeachBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
Big John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBill View Post
Post around that you are available. Ya never know.
Roger that, Bill! I'm trying to wrangle something to cover it. I feel bad about the other players that had signed on to do this one with me and are now left with an open Saturday night.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:26 PM   #6
TheScholar
Bluegrass Musician

TheScholar Just getting started

That sucks man. Best of luck.
TheScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:52 AM   #7
Big John

Well, there have been some developments.

I got a call today from concert-on-the-town-square sort of a gig for the same night that we were "double booked" at the VFW. Perfect. They emailed me a contract, I sent it back with the W-9, and...done in a matter of minutes. And it pays double what the cancelled gig paid, so...mostly cool there except this one's a pop/rock gig, and I can't bring the pedal steel picker who was going to do the VFW with me.

Meanwhile, I hear from the VFW that the two other gigs that I had confirmed with them for September and October are a no-go, they claim they were never confirmed, etc. They can't really answer in any sensible way when pressed as to how/why this happened and that I have emails from them indicating otherwise. They go on to tell me we ARE confirmed there for some other date, which I have no idea about, have never heard before, etc., and also that they will be contacting me soon to book 2018 dates. Eventually I just had to tell them thanks but no thanks for the mystery gig and the future opportunities. I enjoyed playing there, but it's turning it to too much of an ordeal.