Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Bass

Old 02-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
peteriovine
Bassist + Guitarist

peteriovine Just getting started
Question Squier Jazz Basses

About 2 years ago, I picked up my first bass in about 2 years after teaching myself bass on my 1966 Hagstrom III. It was a Squier Affinity Jazz Bass. I felt that Squier Jazz Basses are ridiculously underrated after owning this. In exception for the pickups (they were still good) that I switched for Seymour Duncan's, I felt that I had no upgrading to do to this to make it "American Standard" quality. This Squier was made in Indonesia if you were wondering. The whole bass felt professional except for the "Squier" logo. I'm not saying Squier is a bad thing, but Squier does have a history of producing some lower quality instruments. Fast forward to this year, I bought another Squier Affinity Jazz Bass so I can mess around with and customize. This particular Jazz Bass felt completely different from the previous one I got 2 years earlier. This one was made in China. It was different in a good way, but I quite can't explain why. But my question is, do you all agree that Squier Jazz basses are underrated for it's "Squier" name?
Old 02-04-2017, 11:05 PM   #2
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

I believe there are a lot of lower end guitars that are underrated based on a label, but play just as good, if not better than some higher end brand names.

As to you're question:
Quote:
do you all agree that Squier Jazz basses are underrated for it's "Squier" name?
You're opening yourself up for a cascade of opinions with that one, me son.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #3
peteriovine
Bassist + Guitarist

That is the plan. I personally feel that Squier has a name with some lower quality instruments. But if anyone thinks they don't, I respect their opinion because they are allowed to have one. Like my brother has a Squier Strat, and the thing won't stay in tune after all of his work done to it. Keep in mind he is an expert. So that also adds to my opinion from personal experience. That may have been ONE strat, but again I have seen some similar problems that come across as common with it.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:21 PM   #4
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

What work did your Brother have done to it?.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:31 PM   #5
peteriovine
Bassist + Guitarist

My brother replaced the bridge because it was probably a cheap bridge to begin with. By the way, it was a hard tail. It would of made more sense if it was a Tremelo bridge, but that is not the case. He also replaced the nut, string guide, tuners, and put lower gauge strings to put less tension on the neck. He also adjusted the action and replaced the saddles. I think this may have been a bad body because of the cheap wood. It also may be because of the neck, but he quite can't put his finger on it.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #6
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started
Thumbs up Indonesian Squier PBASS

A friend had a candy apple red one sitting at his shop for weeks . I asked him about it and
he offed it to me for $80.00 . I passed on it saying I had a bass ( guitar synth bass ) and had
no need for one .

A week or two passes and it's still there at my buddies shop gathering dust . I was offered it
once more and said nope don't need one .

A month later it's in parts on a table at my buddies . He gave it to me for $40.00 - I couldn't
walk away from it .

At home and assembled I realized it had a bowed neck and a twist too . Took about a month
to straighten up the twist and get that bow down to decent playable action .

I really love it - even with it's stock pick ups it is a pleasure to listen to . I've got the action
down to one buttery easy playing ax now . I've had it 5 years .

Taking it out of the closet now

EZ :

HR
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteriovine View Post
My brother replaced the bridge because it was probably a cheap bridge to begin with. By the way, it was a hard tail. It would of made more sense if it was a Tremelo bridge, but that is not the case. He also replaced the nut, string guide, tuners, and put lower gauge strings to put less tension on the neck. He also adjusted the action and replaced the saddles. I think this may have been a bad body because of the cheap wood. It also may be because of the neck, but he quite can't put his finger on it.
Putting lower gauge strings on it is why it won't stay in tune. Tell him to put on some 11's with an unwound 3rd and his tuning problem will disappear.
PKVeazey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:37 AM   #8
PKVeazey
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
Putting lower gauge strings on it is why it won't stay in tune. Tell him to put on some 11's with an unwound 3rd and his tuning problem will disappear.
Boy did I screw up...... I didn't realize you were talking about a BASS. Assuming the bass is set up properly and the intonation is set right, old dead strings are usually the culprit for it not playing in tune.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:43 AM   #9
PKVeazey
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
Boy did I screw up...... I didn't realize you were talking about a BASS. Assuming the bass is set up properly and the intonation is set right, old dead strings are usually the culprit for it not playing in tune.
Good grief.... I have to start paying better attention. You were talking about a Strat. It started out with the Squier Bass and morphed into the out of tune Strat. My first comment about getting rid of really light strings and going with something a bit heavier was good.