Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 PM   #21
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Something for tube purists to think about: Who here with a tube amp doesn't have a dirt pedal, among others? Eric Johnson uses a DD-2 digital delay along with 20 other pedals.

So what's the difference in having all these effects externally and SS with onboard modeling? The biggest difference between the 2 that I can think of, is the nature of distortion in the two. Distortion on SS is thought of as "harsh," while distortion on tubes is considered "organic," but that's all subjective.

/The whole, "most people use tube" isn't proof of anything. It's simply a convention that's become popular. Prior to...possibly Ray(?) Davies slicing his speaker cone, distortion was once thought of as a horrible sound. Prior to guitar amplification, no one used what didn't exist.
Good comments, IMO.

There are also amps, such as H&K and Engl, which have tube pre and powers amps but also SS, and whether you should call them tube amps is moot. Both mine are tube (one is an H&K), and I use them clean plus pedals, including OD. I've had them a long time, but if I was buying now I would be seriously considering a good quality minimalist SS amp for weight saving and overall convenience.

QUESTION. Do any tube amps use a power inverter instead of a transformer? I just thought of this because my new inverter type microwave is a lot lighter than the old transformer version.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #22
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Dave View Post
Yeah, although my Line 6 Flextone II XL was probably the heaviest amp I ever owned, even heavier than my current Marshall 2 x 12 tube amp and the floorboard was as big as my pedalboard. But you ain't wrong about the ease of carting a modelling amp with built in fx. Plus the fact that in the heat of battle, when you're up to your ears in muck & bullets, in a crowded room with poor acoustics and with a crowd who really don't care a toss about your guitar tone it could be argued that any differences in tone really don't matter
To most of the people listening, sure, but I find that feel of an instrument and how good I sound has an impact on how I play & how enthusiastic I am.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #23
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge of the Naked Ape View Post
To most of the people listening, sure, but I find that feel of an instrument and how good I sound has an impact on how I play & how enthusiastic I am.
It is the same for me. I find that room acoustics play more into this than my guitar rig though.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #24
Screaming Dave
Senior Twangler

Screaming Dave Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge of the Naked Ape View Post
Oh, I agree, entirely. To me it's the way playing through a valve amp feels that makes most of the difference. Valve amps just feel more transparent to me and more sensitive to playing dynamics. I would always play through a valve amp live, but I might take my little 5W Marshall if I was feeling lazy!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #25
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Ive always felt that tube amps make you learn to play cleaner. That's always been my experience anyways.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #26
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Dave View Post
Oh, I agree, entirely. To me it's the way playing through a valve amp feels that makes most of the difference. Valve amps just feel more transparent to me and more sensitive to playing dynamics. I would always play through a valve amp live, but I might take my little 5W Marshall if I was feeling lazy!
Tubes rule!!
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #27
mrbreeze317

mrbreeze317 Just getting started

SS is great if you want to play clean most of the time. BTW, here's an interesting article about distortion and its origins:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distor...ied_distortion
mrbreeze317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #28
flake_E_lee
Blues orientated rocker

flake_E_lee Just getting started

Tube amps are great but I prefer the maintenance free vetta 2 I currently use.
having played before that cover many genres,It can be a kerry king monster and at the touch of a switch...it can have that country twang.
If you can set up a modelling amp and have the knowlege on them..they can be serious contenders in the right hands.I would not rule out buying a valve amp for home use but I need versatility on the road...or rather...when I get back on the road
flake_E_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #29
Screaming Dave
Senior Twangler

Screaming Dave Just getting started

I remember it was fashionable in the 80s to have a tube amp for distorted sounds and a SS for clean. The Roland JC120 was the SS weapon of choice for lots of players