Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 05-18-2017, 10:05 PM   #21
spiralcity

spiralcity The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking spiralcity The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking spiralcity The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
I am unapologetically one of the people who feel that way about suicide. For me, no place could be as dark , no act more selfish and cowardly than escaping by shifting pain and suffering onto my family and friends. I will, however, grant that serious mental illness is a different thing.

I don't know the facts or what went on in his mind, so I have no opinion Chris' death.
Depression will tear a person apart in many different ways. There is no cure and truly no great understanding of the true pain these individuals live with on a daily basis. Cornell had a long time battle with alcohol and pills but supposedly was clean and sober for many years.

There is no news pointing to Cornell suffering from depression, so that is yet to be known.

Breedlove AC25/SM Acoustic Electric Guitar
1994 Fender Strat 40th Anniversary Issue MIA
1980 Carvin DC150 - Carvin SC90 - Carvin DC145
2005 Schecter Tempest Custom
2004 Schecter Ultra
spiralcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:26 AM   #22
Austin R
Hip to be square

Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

The last song he played before he killed himself was In My Time of Dying by Led Zeppelin.

If that's not creepy then I don't know what is.
Carvin DC127, PRS McCarty Soapbar, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender Mexican Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul Trad. Pro,
Austin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:33 AM   #23
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Just saw a news blurb that Cornell's death was ruled a suicide. Yes, very sad.

While I understand viewing suicide as a selfish act, I also recognize that someone who has fallen into such a dark place, just may be incapable of seeing any other solution.

I tend to think people who opt for suicide simply don't have the will to live.

My daughter is my health proxy. Both kids know my wishes. Should I ever fall into a vegetative state, they'll "pull the plug" for me. Guess it could be said I asked my kids to engage in an "assisted" suicide?

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:37 AM   #24
Xray

Xray Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedley Fingers View Post
A lot of people are bashing him as selfish since he had two kids. I know people who take this position on suicide. I do not agree with that. I believe if you have come to the point of suicide you are suffering and the great majority of the time you have some type of mental illness.

other people are claiming it was probably autoerotic asphyxiation (Spelling?). I don't buy that because let's face it, he was a rock star. Why would he be alone after a show if he had some type of fetish? it's also a horrible accusation to put on someone who can't defend themselves.
I think the guy is an idiot, don't feel sorry for him at all but do his family.
The only way I can condone taking your own life is in war to advert capture and people with serious terminal disease.

Never liked them all that much, Spoonman was good, black hole sun. Probably the only 2 songs I could name.
Guy was obviously talented, hopefully trashed whatever legacy he had doing this.
He was weak, all there is too it. Only shock is he waited so long. Doesn't deserve to RIP in my opinion for the hell he has put his family and friends through.

Wish I would have known they were in town, I live in Detroit.
Not to see him but Pretty Reckless rocks.
Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:52 AM   #25
Big John

Big John Just getting started

They're saying that he strangled himself with his belt in his hotel. Appears to be the dangerous, yet seemingly popular sex deal where you choke yourself while masturbating. There was another entertainer who died from the same thing...one of the Carradines. Very sad.

Last edited by Big John; 05-19-2017 at 05:57 AM.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #26
Smedley Fingers

Smedley Fingers Just getting started Smedley Fingers Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
The only way I can condone taking your own life is in war to advert capture and people with serious terminal disease.
Hi Xray. I completely disagree with this. It is ok to die for the sake of "The State" to protect them and their information but taking your life because you feel it may be the best way out and possibly the best thing for your family (In his mind) is wrong.

We have no way of knowing what was going on. Accusing him of being weak is unfounded.
Smedley Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #27
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post

Never liked them all that much, Spoonman was good, black hole sun. Probably the only 2 songs I could name.
Guy was obviously talented, hopefully trashed whatever legacy he had doing this.
He was weak, all there is too it. Only shock is he waited so long. Doesn't deserve to RIP in my opinion for the hell he has put his family and friends through.

Wish I would have known they were in town, I live in Detroit.
Not to see him but Pretty Reckless rocks.
Don't hold back now!!

You are just a bundle of compassion, ain'tchya.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #28
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
They're saying that he strangled himself with his belt in his hotel. Appears to be the dangerous, yet seemingly popular sex deal where you choke yourself while masturbating. There was another entertainer who died from the same thing...one of the Carradines. Very sad.
I've often thought that auto-erotic asphyxiation is sort of a flirtation with suicide in itself. Nobody does that who's not at least partly interested in dying.

But all this speculation is moot. None of us was him, so none of us can know what life was like in his skin. It's all I can do some days to survive the pressures of a comfortable middle class professional life. I can not even IMAGINE the pressure of carrying a multi-million dollar cultural fixture and rock 'n roll juggernaut on one's shoulders. The fact that ANY rock star at that level can survive decades in the business is a miracle as far as I'm concerned.

I think suicide must come from a place of utter desperation and a feeling of total helplessness and I can certainly find it in my heart to grieve the tragic loss of this artist and also feel sympathy for his family. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive. Whatever happened I assume he had his reasons - it's not for us to judge.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #29
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

According to a statement released by his wife, she spoke to him on the phone shortly before his body was found and he was slurring his speech and not sounding like himself. Apparently he said he may have taken too many anxiety pills (Ativan) which include "suicidal thoughts" among their stated side effects.

I don't think that gets him "off the hook" (pardon the horrible pun, but laughing is kinda helping me) but it could definitely be a mitigating factor.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #30
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boston View Post
According to a statement released by his wife, she spoke to him on the phone shortly before his body was found and he was slurring his speech and not sounding like himself. Apparently he said he may have taken too many anxiety pills (Ativan) which include "suicidal thoughts" among their stated side effects.

I don't think that gets him "off the hook" (pardon the horrible pun, but laughing is kinda helping me) but it could definitely be a mitigating factor.
I can't guess as to who gave him Ativan or why. I hate to speculate about the circumstances but Ativan not a harmless drug. Few are.

For those unfamiliar, Ativan is a brand name for lorazepam which is very similar to Valium (diazepam). Both are addictive and have effects similar to alcohol and other depressants. A former drug addict or alcoholic taking "too many" Ativan is not really different than taking too many beers. Suicidal thoughts are common for relapsing addicts as well.

It's a sad loss regardless.

Last edited by DanRode; 05-19-2017 at 11:20 PM.
DanRode is offline   Reply With Quote