Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 05-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #11
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

What strikes me as odd is that looking at the picture, the strings are all straight holding the nut where it is. When the nut is put where it is supposed to be, there is going to be sideways tension pulling the nut to where it is now. This is probably how it came to be unglued to begin with.

I think when he puts the glue on, installs the strings, and tunes to pitch, it's going to pull it right back to where it is, unless the nut is installed and clamped down and let to dry and THEN put the string on. Then there will probably be a string binding issue since the strings will be going through the nut on an angle.

I think a new nut is in order.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #12
FillmoreNYC
Kung Fu Chicken

FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
What strikes me as odd is that looking at the picture, the strings are all straight holding the nut where it is. When the nut is put where it is supposed to be, there is going to be sideways tension pulling the nut to where it is now. This is probably how it came to be unglued to begin with.

I think when he puts the glue on, installs the strings, and tunes to pitch, it's going to pull it right back to where it is, unless the nut is installed and clamped down and let to dry and THEN put the string on. Then there will probably be a string binding issue since the strings will be going through the nut on an angle.

I think a new nut is in order.
Thats not uncommon with strings that are not a straight pull thru the nut. I wouldnt use the strings as a "clamp" to hold the re-glued nut down. As long as there is no glue seepage outside of the nut (and there shouldnt be), something simple like painters tape can be used to hold the nut in place while the glue dries. And IMO, the guitar should NOT be restrung until the glue is completely dry.
Some Jacksons and Charvels that dont have locking nuts have a fairly severe angle between the nut and tuners. Again, not uncommon.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #13
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillmoreNYC View Post
Thats not uncommon with strings that are not a straight pull thru the nut. I wouldnt use the strings as a "clamp" to hold the re-glued nut down. As long as there is no glue seepage outside of the nut (and there shouldnt be), something simple like painters tape can be used to hold the nut in place while the glue dries. And IMO, the guitar should NOT be restrung until the glue is completely dry.
Some Jacksons and Charvels that dont have locking nuts have a fairly severe angle between the nut and tuners. Again, not uncommon.

Unless you had a locking nut, that's looks like a bad design to me. I see your point though.

On the OP's guitar, it looks like each string would shift over equally...it still looks like the nut doesn't suit the guitar to me.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #14
hippychip

hippychip Just getting started

I have been playing guitar since I was 10, and repairing them since I was 12 (turning 52 this year) Sorry I forgot to mention that you should carefully remove the old glue, and let the new glue dry for few hours before re-stringing. Another point that is important to note is that if you leave the strings off/loose for more than a few hours you may get some fret buzz when you first tune it up. Do not make any adjustments for at least a day!