Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 05-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
Big John

Big John Just getting started
Default BBQ festival gig tomorrow!

This one should be fun. An annual BBQ festival on the Chesapeake. I'm playing with a three-piece on this one...guitar, drums, and bass. Pop/rock, country, motown, etc...basically cover songs to eat smoked meat by. Outdoor stage and the weather looks to be pleasant. Pay is decent ($250), but it's a haul...100 miles one way.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
Smedley Fingers

Smedley Fingers Just getting started Smedley Fingers Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
This one should be fun. An annual BBQ festival on the Chesapeake. I'm playing with a three-piece on this one...guitar, drums, and bass. Pop/rock, country, motown, etc...basically cover songs to eat smoked meat by. Outdoor stage and the weather looks to be pleasant. Pay is decent ($250), but it's a haul...100 miles one way.
Hahaha, Big John doesn't slow down. Good luck my friend.
Smedley Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

"Cover songs to eat smoked meat by," should be your band's slogan, lol.

Good on you Big John! Break a leg, or rib, or wing, or whatever.

What's your setlist?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public

Get some video!
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home

Yes, Video please. Have a blast.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
Big John

Thanks, ya'll! Yes, it is full steam ahead this time of year. Almost every little town/county around here has some sort of Thursday night concert series or whatever throughout the summer. The wineries (there must be hundreds of them...seriously) have bands on the weekends. Same with the microbreweries. I've got two postgame party gigs booked at the MLB stadium downtown. BBQ festivals, strawberry festivals, art festivals, etc. I try to get in on as many of this as I can. Make hay while the sun is shining!

I'll try to get some video if I can. Almost every gig there are people pointing phones at me and filming, but who knows where it all goes. I rarely see any of it unless it is a friend/family filming.

I didn't get a setlist for this one yet, but I'm sure it'll be all popular cover stuff that people know...Stones, Cars, Temps, Buffett, Petty, Orbison, Marshall Tucker, Pickett, Cougar, etc.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #7
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Be sure to eat a mess of ribs and then just go play... mojo!! ;-)
Old 05-20-2017, 02:38 AM   #8
Big John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
Be sure to eat a mess of ribs and then just go play... mojo!! ;-)
I am doing that! Also going to try a bring back some fresh seafood if there are some good roadside sellers.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:43 AM   #9
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public

Be sure to play Throw Another Log On The Fire!
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #10
Big John

Great gig! We played for about 3 hours (total) over a 4 hour span. We mostly played southern and classic rock covers, as they were going over well. We had requests for Mama Tried, Wildwood Flower, and Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys, so we played those too. I ate a bunch of swine and drank a few cold beers on the house. I got to sing the National Anthem to kick the whole thing off. Weather was perfect. I did not win the gun raffle...shucks.

I got a shot of the stage while we were setting up.

Somebody there filmed us doing Fire On The Mountain (Marshall Tucker cover) and The Bitch Is Back (Elton John cover). They said would send these to me, so I will post video when they do.

After the show I drove to Point Lookout at the southernmost end of the peninsula, since it was just 4 miles and who knows when I'll get down there again...if ever. There was a fishing pier, causeway, American Revolution and Civil War sites, etc.