Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 12-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
1cornmilk

1cornmilk Just getting started
Default Bending for a guitar noob

Hi, I'm starting to figure out how to bend strings, but most of the times, when I try a quicker bend, I accidentally pull the string above the one I'm bending. If I try tu mute the upper string I don't have strength to do the bend
I know that practice makes perfect but tips are always good
1cornmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

Welcome in cornmilk. Practice does make perfect but there is always something more to learn. It almost sounds like the action "height" of the string above the frets is to high. With that being said I would take it to a guitar tech and have a setup done. Or watch youtube videos on setups.
stratstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but I think you're saying you try to bend the G string* and accidentally pull on the B string. Right?

The basic issue is the position of your left hand finger(s) doing the bending. They shouldn't be touching the higher string at all. You can always mute the B string with another finger or even a right hand finger. If you're having problems with enough finger strength to do the bend, some people use two fingers to bend. Or sometimes you'll use two fingers depending on how much bend you're targeting or if you have heavy gauge strings. And, as you've already said, practice makes perfect. Anyone can bend a string. To bend a string properly, and to the proper pitch, is a practiced skill. It takes time to learn how to do it right. I would consider bending an advanced guitar technique.

(* G strings should never be pulled, that's just inappropriate. )
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I think I know what he means. You bend the B string and the end of your finger catches the G string so when you release pressure the G string gets disturbed. It happens to me occasionally as well.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
I think I know what he means. You bend the B string and the end of your finger catches the G string so when you release pressure the G string gets disturbed. It happens to me occasionally as well.
If this is the scenario, you can use your thumb (if it's long enough) to mute the strings you're bending towards.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #6
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Bending usually involves BOTH hands. The left to actually bend the string, and the right to mute any other strings that get in the way. SRV made great use of an Albert King bad habit, bending the high E and slurring the high B at the same time for that dissonant sound that is signature to both. It would happen to Albert because he was left handed and strung his upside down guitar backward...He couldn't stop the dual bend.

More practice would involve bending to the proper pitch and learning when to stop the bend, and also what strings to mute in the process. Jus me.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #7
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

I find the way the guitar is setup has an impact which stratstrummer mentioned.

I find if the action is too high, my finger goes underneath the adjacent string and it will ring open when I release the bend. If the action is way too low, I grab the adjacent string along with the string I'm bending with will also cause it to ring when I let go of the bend.

When I bend, I grab the string I am bending so that the tip of my finger rolls up from the fretboard and will push into the adjacent string. When I release the bend, my finger gently comes away from the adjacent string so it won't ring out. So I essentially mute the adjacent string with the finger I'm bending with.

It's one of those things you have to closely look at what you are doing, how it's causing a problem, and examining what you can do to prevent it. I did that myself and this was what I came up with.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #8
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

Which brings us back to practice makes perfect. Keep trying cornmilk, I'm sure eventually you will figure it out and make it work.
stratstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:19 AM   #9
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
I find the way the guitar is setup has an impact which stratstrummer mentioned.

I find if the action is too high, my finger goes underneath the adjacent string and it will ring open when I release the bend. If the action is way too low, I grab the adjacent string along with the string I'm bending with will also cause it to ring when I let go of the bend.

When I bend, I grab the string I am bending so that the tip of my finger rolls up from the fretboard and will push into the adjacent string. When I release the bend, my finger gently comes away from the adjacent string so it won't ring out. So I essentially mute the adjacent string with the finger I'm bending with.

It's one of those things you have to closely look at what you are doing, how it's causing a problem, and examining what you can do to prevent it. I did that myself and this was what I came up with.
I was thinking of getting one of those string dampener thingies. For now, I tied some dental floss around the neck of a coupla guitars, especially those that have high action.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote