Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #61
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudos1 View Post
Really tell that to Billy Gibbons who uses 7s
When I think of Billy Gibbons I don't think of "bell like tone" But your point might be that we don't all want that "bell like tone"
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:05 AM   #62
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
I'd change that to "player challenged". It IS a challenge for a player to get numerous tones out of a simple single pickup guitar.

Of course, its easier if that kind of guitar has a pickup with multiple functions, like a Duncan P-Rails, or a Lace Sensor 'Dually', but in the sense of a single pickup guitar, those p/u's are kinda like cheating, IMO.

A single (non-split-able) humbucker, or P90, or Telecaster p/u?? Its intent is very focused, but IMO, thats a real players guitar.
I think that's the major benefit to a one pickup guitar, challenging the player and not the eliminating of the pull of the magnet in the other pickup.

In the case of the one knob guitar pictured above I get the one pickup concept but I'd kind of like to have a tone knob.

One pickup is kind of cool though if it makes you focus more on where you pick the strings, how hard you pick them and how you vary the volume and tone controls.

Of course you can do that on any guitar by just not using the other pickup.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #63
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Jack White (White Stripes) is one of those folks that believes in stimulating creativity by limiting options. Working with only drums, guitar and voice forces the musicians to be more creative with the tools thay have rather than relying on multiple instruments and players to fill the gaps.

Last edited by DanRode; 01-17-2018 at 04:03 PM.
DanRode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #64
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
In the case of the one knob guitar pictured above I get the one pickup concept but I'd kind of like to have a tone knob.
It could be made that way with either a concentric pot or a push/pull switching pot that engages a capacitor. I'd probably opt for the latter. It'd look more 'stock'.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #65
Bellcose

Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
I think that's the major benefit to a one pickup guitar, challenging the player and not the eliminating of the pull of the magnet in the other pickup.

One pickup is kind of cool though if it makes you focus more on where you pick the strings, how hard you pick them and how you vary the volume and tone controls.

Of course you can do that on any guitar by just not using the other pickup.
If my aged memory serves me correctly (doubtful) I believe the concept was, first, rather inexpensive, and, second, you have pedals and EQ don't ya, so what more flimflam do you need in order to PLAY?
...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."
Bellcose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #66
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellcose View Post
If my aged memory serves me correctly (doubtful) I believe the concept was, first, rather inexpensive, and, second, you have pedals and EQ don't ya, so what more flimflam do you need in order to PLAY?
I rarely use pedals and it's easier to use the tone control on my guitar than to go to the amp. I don't think they had pedals in the early days did they?
Old 01-19-2018, 09:19 PM   #67
rct

rct Just getting started

My Esquire goes out for long evenings of old Rock quite frequently and like a Tele, Strat, or Les Paul, I would not want to be without it.

I don't know this "string pull" stuff at all.

The point of the Esquire was the switching. Switch it up front where there is no pickup and you are basically going through a no treble circuit, and are a bass player. Middle is normal tone control, back is no tone pot at all. Leo designed it with current players in mind, after watching them use his young amps for quite some time and listening to what they wanted.

I love mine.

rct
rct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:57 PM   #68
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct View Post
My Esquire goes out for long evenings of old Rock quite frequently and like a Tele, Strat, or Les Paul, I would not want to be without it.

I don't know this "string pull" stuff at all.

The point of the Esquire was the switching. Switch it up front where there is no pickup and you are basically going through a no treble circuit, and are a bass player. Middle is normal tone control, back is no tone pot at all. Leo designed it with current players in mind, after watching them use his young amps for quite some time and listening to what they wanted.

I love mine.

rct
+1

I have one as well, and I agree... Esquires rule.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM   #69
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

I had a Gibson Melody Maker with a single dog-ear P90 in the bridge position. Loved that guitar but ended up selling it off for an acoustic I needed more. I've been wanting to find a decent one-pup guitar again. There's something appealing about a simple, no BS, workmanly guitar. I like the idea of stretching out and learning to do more with less.

My main axe is my Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat, which I absolutely LOVE because of all the different colors on its palette. With a 5-position blade switch and the S-1 switch there are 10 different tones in that thing. I'ts bordering on too much. I'd like to get a simple axe with one great sounding pickup a volume control and a tone control and that's it.