Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 12-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
stecarey

stecarey Just getting started
Default How much time would you spend practising?

Discussion....

If you could donate hours of your time a day, maybe your a lucky someone who even can? How would you divide your time into warming up, practising, playing songs and learning theory? Feel free to add any extra categories you can think of to do with learning guitar.

Ste
stecarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I used to practice a half hour a day. I warmed up with scales for about 5 minutes then worked on my lesson book.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Right now, I play between 1/2 hour and 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. Technically, I wouldnt say I practice, because Im not in a band at the moment, and Im not setting out to learn any new songs. Its really just playing what I feel like playing. I dont warm up, I just grab the guitar and go, although I do notice my facility on the fingerboard getting smoother and faster, or a new riff may pop up as time goes by during my playing. In that sense, maybe I'd call it "inadvertent practice"... I didnt set out to play faster or discover a riff, but sometimes it happens.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:37 PM   #4
stecarey

stecarey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
Right now, I play between 1/2 hour and 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. Technically, I wouldnt say I practice, because Im not in a band at the moment, and Im not setting out to learn any new songs. Its really just playing what I feel like playing. I dont warm up, I just grab the guitar and go, although I do notice my facility on the fingerboard getting smoother and faster, or a new riff may pop up as time goes by during my playing. In that sense, maybe I'd call it "inadvertent practice"... I didnt set out to play faster or discover a riff, but sometimes it happens.
It's nice to know from my beginners perspective that you can improve just by playing as opposed to sitting down and trying to play what to learn.

At the moment I've been going back to the very basics of chord changing and accuracy through the pentatonic scale as well as a bit of eat training on an app i just purchased. I've also been working on Back in Black and I think the chord changing and accuracy has really helped with my playing!!
stecarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:30 AM   #5
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

I am retired so I usually play at least 2 hours a day if not more.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:59 AM   #6
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stecarey View Post
It's nice to know from my beginners perspective that you can improve just by playing as opposed to sitting down and trying to play what to learn.

At the moment I've been going back to the very basics of chord changing and accuracy through the pentatonic scale as well as a bit of eat training on an app i just purchased. I've also been working on Back in Black and I think the chord changing and accuracy has really helped with my playing!!
Good stuff!! I have been playing many years and I still spend a lot of time on scales, especially the pent scales. I find the rewards are certainly there.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:09 AM   #7
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

10 minutes of focused practice, study, playing, etc, is worth more than 5 hours of half-assed practice, study, or playing.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:05 AM   #8
BeachComber
Banned

BeachComber Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by stecarey View Post
Discussion....

If you could donate hours of your time a day, maybe your a lucky someone who even can? How would you divide your time into warming up, practising, playing songs and learning theory? Feel free to add any extra categories you can think of to do with learning guitar.

Ste
All of the above in no specific order. I get bored with concentrating on just one thing, so I do all of them in turn .
BeachComber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started Morfz Just getting started

It depends for me. When I have a lot of exams and work in school my practicing time goes down. If im on holiday I practice quite a lot. Id say a few hours a day. Some days maybe 5 hours if I feel like it. Some days I sit down and discover a riff or a chord progression or a melody and only "practice" for 20 minutes or so.

Creating is definately the most rewarding part for me, so naturally I spend a lot of time learning my favourite songs, analyzing them and creating my own. Ive followed the advice a fellow member always gave me before he left, and thats to play songs, learn songs, dig deeper into songs, analyze songs, and create songs.

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
Morfz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #10
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfz View Post
Some days maybe 5 hours if I feel like it.
THATS some real dedication, Morfz. Props for that.

I cant remember the last time I sat for that long with a guitar unless I was working on it.