Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 01-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default When do you practice

When I'm on vacation my playing improves much faster than when I'm working. A part of that might be that I spend a little more time but I think it's really mostly due to WHEN I practice.

When working, I practice in the evening as that's the only free time I have. When I do have a choice, I practice first thing in the morning and I seem to be able to learn faster. I can feel the difference in focus. I can pick new things up with less time and effort and I can improve tricky things I've been working on.

When do you practice and why? When would you like to practice instead?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

I never really thought about the time of day paling a difference. I play when I have a chance, i.e.. no honey-do tasks in the queue. Typically on a Saturday, it would be around 4:00pm. The quiet hour before starting dinner.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child

Im retired now so it's anytime I feel like it. When I was working as you are I found it to be much slower for me to improve as there really was not that much time.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Im retired now so it's anytime I feel like it. When I was working as you are I found it to be much slower for me to improve as there really was not that much time.
Same here. No set time for me to practice. At any given time I have at least 3 guitar within reach of my chair, all the others are only a few feet away. I play them often.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
When I'm on vacation my playing improves much faster than when I'm working. A part of that might be that I spend a little more time but I think it's really mostly due to WHEN I practice.

When working, I practice in the evening as that's the only free time I have. When I do have a choice, I practice first thing in the morning and I seem to be able to learn faster. I can feel the difference in focus. I can pick new things up with less time and effort and I can improve tricky things I've been working on.

When do you practice and why? When would you like to practice instead?
My only free time is in the evening, or weekends. It's not when I practice, it's how I practice that matters.

When I sit down with the intent of focused practice, I learn way better.

Most of the time, I'm just noodling. That's not practice (aside from keeping my dexterity up, which is something, I guess); that's noodling.

There's been times when I've sat down, and said, "ok, no screwing around, I'm gonna focus on this." A half hour of that, is worth more than 3 hours of noodling. I set a goal.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #6
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started Morfz Just getting started

Whenever I get the urge. Which could be anytime...

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
Morfz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

When the mood takes me. I do some micro practice to get certain techniques right, but most of my time is spent composing. The days of scales are long gone for me.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:40 PM   #8
Smith357

Smith357 Just getting started

After work and on weekends when I not busy with one of my many other activities.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratstrummer View Post
At any given time I have at least 3 guitar within reach of my chair, all the others are only a few feet away. I play them often.
Wow, you never have to move from that chair. If you have a refrigerator full of beer with in reach, you're all set! Don't mind me, I'm just planning my retirement details.

pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #10
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Usually right after work when I'm done taking the dog for a walk, and before dinner. That's my productive zone. It's also important to note that I work on mainland hours, so 6am-2pm for me here.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote