Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 06-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts
Default Slash - Through A New Lens

I was talking about Slash and early GNR with a friend recently and he was making the point that in the grand scheme of things, compared to some of the other metal and hard rock guitarists of Slash's generation he's not overly fast or technically skilled. Sure, if you think in terms of metal and hard rock EVH, Satriani, Vai, Paul Gilbert, any number of guitar virtuosos of the day could wipe the floor with him.

But then it occurred to me the thing that always set GNR apart for me was the attitude and groove in their music. These guys were obviously heavily steeped in the punk and glam of the 70s. So maybe Slash isn't a middle-of-the-pack metal player so much as the MOST technical punk rock guitarist who ever lived.

Anyway - I've always dug his style, it's always just spoken to me somehow.

Last edited by Mr. Boston; 06-16-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Mr. Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #2
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

You might be onto something.

This is how I always felt about GnR. When they hit, I did not see them as a metal band; certainly not a hair metal band. In fact the make-up and hair videos, seems at odds with the actual band and their sound.

It's a touch of metal, a dash of punk, a handful of 70s rock band mojo and a buchn other subtle influences.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
You might be onto something.

This is how I always felt about GnR. When they hit, I did not see them as a metal band; certainly not a hair metal band. In fact the make-up and hair videos, seems at odds with the actual band and their sound.

It's a touch of metal, a dash of punk, a handful of 70s rock band mojo and a buchn other subtle influences.
I sort of trace Guns as being the 80s' entry in a direct line that goes something like:

Chuck Berry> Rolling Stones> Aerosmith> GNR> Black Crowes> ?

I think lots of people lose sight of how much GROOVE there is to Guns' music, especially on Appetite. I read an interview somewhere, I think having to do with 20th anniversary of the album's release (now 10 years ago!) where Slash said that while they were working on writing that album he and Duff would hang out primarily jamming on Prince covers until the rest of the band crawled out from whatever rock they'd fallen asleep under the night before and showed up to work on the material. That kind of illuminates a lot.

Last edited by Mr. Boston; 06-16-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Mr. Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
know-dem-scales

know-dem-scales Just getting started

Mr. Boston. I was thinking something along those lines the other day. Huge Guns N' Roses fan here. Slash is what I wanted to be like. I don't want to offend anyone here, but Eddie Van Halen is one great guitarist. But some of VH music back then was a lot of talking mixed with music. I like a ton of their songs, but Mr. Ice Cream Man and Janie's Cryin hurts my ears. I was a huge Satch fan. Slash though, I think like you Mr. Boston. It is the groove of his playing. All parts of a song just go together. I mean like freaking puzzle pieces. That guy can mix a crazy bit of rock with a hint of blues and create a masterpiece. It is almost it is like he did not need to do an Eruption to be cool. That dude plugs in and plays and it sound so damn cool. Satch was fast but the alien sound got to be old. I tired of Satch quickly. Slash, I never get bored of listening to. It is like an out of body experience.
know-dem-scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Guns N Roses is really what rock and roll is all about. Why does Slash need to be fast anyway? I can listen to the shredders for about 60 seconds and I'm done with it.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:42 PM   #6
know-dem-scales

Yeah, if they could have had kept their crap together all those years they were broke up, media folks said that they would have been the next Rolling Stones. I remember a documentary where one member said, hey I joined these guys to be in a kick ass rock band. This was after the orchestra bits on the Illusion albums. I have to agree with that. But, nonetheless, they are absolutely my favorite band of all time. Slash's lead guitar is just simply amazing to me. Maybe not a virtuoso in certain ares, but composing his stuff he is super top notch.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:03 AM   #7
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

This is the only thing of his that I really like:

MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started

Yeah. I agree. Slash and GNR are one of few 80s Hard rock bands I actually like. Slash definately has roots in blues/blues rock. You can definately see it in his playing. He has amazing phrasing and sense for melody. On top of that he has some sweet groove going on in his playing.
Morfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

I think his solos are written or played for the song and not so much me me me.
Abo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
know-dem-scales

What Abo said^^^^. FTW