Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 06-16-2017, 11:29 PM   #11
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Okay, first my incredibly crude plans (link is to PDF version) then in a subsequent post some further pictures to hopefully clear up exactly what I did.

This plan assumes 3/4" thick boards, a 3/4" thick top and a 1/4" thick bottom panel; consequently the inside portions of the side rails are 1 1/4" shorter than the outside (1/4" to make a rabbet for the bottom panel and 1" for the top panel, thickness of Velcro, and to leave a little room for the rails to ride above the velcro).

Not included in the design are two pieces of wood along the inside of the back piece; one cut at an angle to match the rails, one square. They're there to support the back corners and the top and bottom panels. I just used 1 1/5" x 1" pine for this.

On my original, I left way too little material between the edge of the mortises and the outside edges of the stock; this plan makes allowance for a 1/4" which is what I will most likely use on my next one (a smaller version for my bass board) but if someone who knows better suggests a larger amount, I'd go with that. Hell, I'd go with finger joints or dovetails if I had the jigs or chops.
Attached Images
File Type: png PB-plans-1.png (38.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: png PB-plans-2.png (28.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: png PB-plans-3.png (39.4 KB, 40 views)

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:45 PM   #12
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

My jig for cutting the angled rails:

Back panel off:

Inside back corner detail:

Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_4562.png (1.19 MB, 40 views)
File Type: png IMG_4563.png (1.14 MB, 40 views)
File Type: png IMG_4565.png (1.60 MB, 41 views)

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Old 06-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #13
spacedog
mere mortal

spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls

Lookin' very nice, dude.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:34 PM   #14
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing the plan
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #15
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

No sweat off my back... hope it helps someone!

So yeah, I think (besides the extra cost and not actually being any larger) I've figured out why nobody is using the 1590BX for loopers... did some enclosure work today (somewhat more than what I'd originally bargained for):

Top drills:

FML:

Praise the sweet baby Jesus for inventing the Dremel tool!

More to follow...
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_4580.png (847.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: png IMG_4581.png (768.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: png IMG_4582.png (1.36 MB, 27 views)
File Type: png IMG_4583.png (801.9 KB, 29 views)

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Old 06-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #16
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

So some notes on how I'm doing this. Because I'm having PCBs fabbed for this my drills need to be reasonably accurate and I'm losing a lot of flexibility in exactly where hardware can mount. The benefit is however that I'm saving myself A TON of point-to-point wiring in what is at best an extremely tedious type of build. So between the above and the fact that I want some kind of artwork on the top, I'd created a drill guide using page layout software and my earlier board renders:

Another perk of this method is that it can help me avoid a lot SNAFUs that wouldn't be immediately obvious looking at the circuit boards in isolation.

So that's how I positioned my drills on the top; printed out my layout (actually, just the layers with the drill marks and enclosure dimensions), cut it to size, centered and squared it on the enclosure, taped it down, used a metal punch to make a dimple where all the drills will go, then set to work with my drill press.

Now here's where things get tricky---this is going to be a REALLY tight build so that means lots and lots of measuring and checking and rechecking if I don't want to flush ~$20 or more down the toilet and start over with a new enclosure.

Here I've loaded certain critical 3PDT and 4PDT footswitches into their positions so that I can ensure my jack drills are positioned correctly. If I don't have a drill template, I like to use masking tape and a mechanical pencil to work out my drills (I find a small combination square and a machinist's rule to be extremely helpful in this). At this stage, I've transferred the exact positions of the hardware to their position on the outside of the enclosure.

Next, I use pieces of actual hardware to judge positioning and spacing before I take measurements, mark final positions on the enclosure, then recheck those positions by repositioning my hardware on their drill marks. During this process, I discovered that there were a couple of places where I was not only going to have to use low-profile jacks, but that I'll also have to bend their solder lugs out of the way.

Last stop before breaking out the metal punch...

Fin.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_4584.png (835.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: png IMG_4585.png (777.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: png IMG_4586.png (879.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: png IMG_4588.png (830.5 KB, 26 views)

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Old 06-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #17
Smedley Fingers

Smedley Fingers Just getting started Smedley Fingers Just getting started

Awesome, just unbelievably awesome.
Smedley Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #18
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

I'm trying to master the finishing technique described here:

Light coat of lacquer applied to top...

Holes cut out with a razor before laying down my wet coats. This takes some practice to get the cuts clean; not such a big deal for the footswitch holes as they'll be hidden by washers but the 3mm holes for my LEDs need to be really clean. Consequently, I take a couple practice runs on pot/footswitch holes before I go after any LED drills.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_4599.png (779.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: png IMG_4600.png (753.1 KB, 21 views)

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Old 07-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #19
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Holy shitballs, I think I'm done here (other than the constant migration on and off and rearrangement of pedals, of course).

Switches/signal path from right to left: Tuner mute, [buffer/splitter to buff input signal & send to dry out], flip/flop to "Synth" loop, dirt loop with integration for my amp's footswitch (see: little blue box), "Chime" circuit consisting of a stripped Lovepedal Englishman with no clipping and increased headroom, [switch for inline/four cable method modes], modulation loop, time-based effects loop.

Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_4629.png (435.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: png IMG_4630.png (444.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: png IMG_4645.png (957.7 KB, 13 views)

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Old 07-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #20
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Dangerous looking!! Fantastic stuff, huge +1
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote