Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 06-18-2017, 03:22 AM   #11
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
Anymore, both the seller & the buyer at a pawn shop need to bring along some lubricant
I'm trying real hard to un-see that picture.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:27 AM   #12
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I have always had luck in my pawnshop adventures. I always haggle to half the tag price and end up closing the deal with half a few more.

I got a Peavey Predator TR7 (7-stirnger) for only $50!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #13
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

30 yrs ago,you could get a deal from a pawn shop as they couldn't have cared less about vintage or otherwise, just what they could get for it. Now, with internet, magazines, vintage market, every pawn owner worth their salt knows what a guitar is worth to get out the door...
Old 06-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #14
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
30 yrs ago,you could get a deal from a pawn shop as they couldn't have cared less about vintage or otherwise, just what they could get for it. Now, with internet, magazines, vintage market, every pawn owner worth their salt knows what a guitar is worth to get out the door...
Yes, that's very true and likely applies to the whole used market, but our local hock shops sometimes have stock clearance sales and/or auctions where you can sometimes pick up a good buy. My Peavey was one such.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:26 AM   #15
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

In all my years of occasional pawn visits, in Oak Cliff in Dallas where "Lenny" was bought, out in Cockrell Hill, over to mid cities DFW, I only found 1 ever deal, and was late getting back for it.

A 3 pickup Gibson Les Paul black beauty for 600 bucks. A cherry one at that, no mistreatment, nada... I went to the bank, pulled the cash and returned later in the afternoon and it was gone....I ended up disappointed and returned the cash to my account the next morning and never ever found anything else I would consider.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #16
mrbreeze317

mrbreeze317 Just getting started

I got this for $275 USD:

Model Name: FSR FMT Standard StratocasterŪ
Model Number: 013-0165-(300)
Series: Standard Series
Body: Alder with Flame Maple Top
Neck: Maple,
(Polyurethane Finish)
Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
No. of Frets: 21 Medium Jumbo Frets
Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
Width @ Nut: 1.650” (42 mm)
Hardware: Chrome
Machine Heads: FenderŪ/PingŪ Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines
Bridge: Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo
Pickguard: 3-Ply Parchment
Pickups: 3 Tex-MexTM Single Coil Pickups
Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup
Position 3. Middle Pickup
Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup
Position 5. Neck Pickup
Controls: Master Volume,
Tone 1. (Neck Pickup),
Tone 2. (Middle Pickup)
Colors: (300) 3-Color Sunburst,
(Polyester Finish)
Strings: Fender Super BulletsTM 3250L, (.009 to .042), Nickel Plated Steel, p/n 073-3250-003
Unique Features: Figured Maple Top,
Vintage Styling
Source: Mexico
Accessories: None
U.S. MSRP: $569.99
INTRODUCED: 2004
mrbreeze317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #17
TheScholar
Bluegrass Musician

TheScholar Just getting started

I'm not made of money. Truthfully, I don't like buying things new and buying things at full price. I always look at estate salles, auctions hockshops, pawnshops, flee markets, charity shops, thrift stores, and ebay when I'm buying stuff. I find a lot of "like new" items without paying full price for them. A penny saved is a penny earned.

Last year I scored a like new 1979 Guild, perfect condition and barely played for 79 dollars.
TheScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:14 PM   #18
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started
Default Pawn Shop Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by know-dem-scales View Post
My city has quite a few pawn shops. Quality, in my opinion, no. What is your opinion of pawn shop guitars? I found an Epiphone Les Paul Studio. Made in China. They wanted 325 dollars for it. They offered to let me play it. I tuned all the strings except the top one. I have to use a toner. The top strong would go all over the place. High then low then again and so forth. What all you think was the problem? I never got it to tune.
Thanks
This is really confusing. I'm new but this doesn't allow a place to write a comment except right on top of the first comment. The first thing I learned about 50 years ago, while working in a music store, was to not be a guitar snob. A good guitar is a good guitar, no matter who made it or what store its in. The second thing I learned was to know every part of the guitar and exactly how it worked. The lighter the gauge string, the harder it is to play in tune or keep in tune. The lower the tuner ratio, the harder it is to tune. Count the turns ratio. If its not higher than 14 to 1, pass on it or buy new tuners. As to Pawn shops: I wanted a true Strat sound for FUNK, so I went to about a dozen music stores and even the Fenders didn't have that exact Fender Funk sound. I ended up in a Pawn Shop and found a new CORT, strat copy that had it. I put some 11's with an unwound 3rd on it and smoked all the other Funk players. Only a blind man is qualified to pick out a guitar. The name and the look mean nothing. The feel, playability, and the sound is what its about. I don't know how much this helps but its just my opinion.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:22 AM   #19
know-dem-scales

know-dem-scales Just getting started

Was I being a guitar snob? Didn't mean to at all. I was saying that the guitars I have found at pawn shops aren't that great. A lot of banged up Squiers with rusted hardware, etc. or you find that one middle end Yamaha and it is beat to crap. As far as the Epiphone Les Paul goes, I could have been doing something wrong. I tuned all the strings fine. That top one just wouldn't tune. I am no expert. I didn't know if it was a string thing, saddle thing, tuner thing. So, I didn't take any chances.
know-dem-scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:59 AM   #20
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by know-dem-scales View Post
Was I being a guitar snob? Didn't mean to at all. I was saying that the guitars I have found at pawn shops aren't that great. A lot of banged up Squiers with rusted hardware, etc. or you find that one middle end Yamaha and it is beat to crap. As far as the Epiphone Les Paul goes, I could have been doing something wrong. I tuned all the strings fine. That top one just wouldn't tune. I am no expert. I didn't know if it was a string thing, saddle thing, tuner thing. So, I didn't take any chances.
There "may" have been a problem with the guitar, and they were asking $325?? Aren't those selling brand new at GC for $350? I may be looking at the wrong model, but if not, their price should have been closer to $175. Or less, since it needed work.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote