Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #1
BigMoney

BigMoney Just getting started
Default Self-Taught vs Private Lessons

Who here is self taught and who here has studied privately?

On a tangent, I think now more than ever it is reasonable to be completely self taught. The internet can teach you so much these days. Online videos are a great resource as well.

On the other hand you can't jam with the internet like you can a teacher. They will also point out your mistakes way faster than the internet. Backing tracks are great, but jamming with a person teaches you much more.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

I think it's a good idea to have an instructors, even if it's just occasionally to assess where you're at and give you what you need to propel you to the next level.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
S. Rock

S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm self taught. of course, I started over 50 years ago now. we had chord books(Mel Bay) and jamming with friends. also, sometimes we'd listen to the albums/or 45s to learn the song.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #4
Jimorr

Jimorr Just getting started

I took lessons for a year and a half, 50 years ago. That being said I can't read a note, so I guess I'm self taught now.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
Big John

Big John Just getting started

In response to the question, I am self-taught/teaching. I started with books and records 20 years ago, and I continue, most recently with some lessons (streaming video) purchased over the internet.

With regard to the tangent, please do not look at my approach as a shining example of the correct way to learn the guitar.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #6
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm self taught, except for a few classical lessons, but I had some grounding in theory from piano lesson taken many years previously. With the benefit of hindsight, I would say that lessons would still be the best option, but that a good compatible teacher is important. Not only do you get feedback, but having a target each week should make for good progress.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #7
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

I'm self taught and have been that way for 38 years. I do visit Youtube for some lessons from time to time, but I like the challenge of listening to and trying to figure out over someone showing me how it's done.

My way is not the best way. Lessons are a much better way to expand and understand, but my way works best for me.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #8
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Self taught as I have no discipline for lessons really
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:41 AM   #9
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

I think the players who had to play by ear, and rip songs from records have a more rounded ability.

Does all the information you can get these days make players better off than before the internet?.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 AM   #10
Old Guitar Dad

Old Guitar Dad The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Old Guitar Dad The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Old Guitar Dad The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I've done both...

I was taught classical guitar as an 11 year old and hated it because I was made to play songs I didn't connect with. I learnt to read music and music theory but never engaged with it. As a result I stopped playing pretty much all together.

Fast forward another 40 years and I get asked to jam with a mate's band and despite not being able to string more than a couple of chords together I enjoyed it so I decided to learn all over again, but this time self taught (via the internet watching youtube guitarists and how they play songs that I liked). I found that simple fact that they were songs I WANTED to play, it made me stick with it. So for the last 6 years I have improved my playing so much so that I play with a band now.

All in all if you can find someone who is prepared to mold their lessons around songs you like then face to face is probably better, failing that check out Justin Sanderscoe on youtube, as he explains things extremely well and has lessons from basic through to advanced.

Have fun.
Old Guitar Dad is offline   Reply With Quote