Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 12-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
zachhay11

zachhay11 is a Proud Cross-Dresser
Default Yamaha fg-230

Hey, all!
I was jsut given a twelve string yamaha fg-230 from an aunt. (A cleaning out the basement type of find.) I couldn't find too much info on the web so if i figured I'd just go to the experts. So its in pretty good shape and plays well. I can't find a serial number number but there is a number in the body under the neck that reads "20708452" if that means anything. Anyone know what its worth?
P.S. This guitar sounds great to me and feels great to me(and I'm somewhat experianced) and so this guitar is for playing, not for selling so don't be afraid to break the news that it's worthless. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Underdog
...just sayin...

Underdog worships the ground Underdog walks upon Underdog worships the ground Underdog walks upon Underdog worships the ground Underdog walks upon Underdog worships the ground Underdog walks upon Underdog worships the ground Underdog walks upon Underdog worships the ground Underdog walks upon Underdog worships the ground Underdog walks upon Underdog worships the ground Underdog walks upon Underdog worships the ground Underdog walks upon Underdog worships the ground Underdog walks upon Underdog worships the ground Underdog walks upon

Is the label inside the body red? From what I can find out it is more valuable if it has a red label. Looks like they are going for about $200-$400 depending on condition and whether it is a red label Nippon Gakki model. If it feels and sounds great to you, then it is priceless.

I am no expert, though. I just get lucky with Google sometimes. If night Train comes across this thread, he might be able to shed a bit more light on it for you

Edit: A further check of ebay showed 2 that went for less than $200 but they may have been in rough shape.

Forum Co-Admin

Last edited by Underdog; 12-24-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
strumnhum

strumnhum The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking strumnhum The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Here is what I found: Your guitar was made on
July 8th, 1982, 1992
or 2002
Production Number: 452
and where I found it: The Guitar Dater Project - Yamaha Serial Number Decoder
I have a Yamaha FG-360 that was made in Dec 19, 1974, and it sounds great! Is still almost like new, couple of minor scratches is all. Here's another resource for you: http://vintageguitarpro.com/serialyamaha.shtml
strumnhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Night Train
Banned

Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Your guitar was made July 8th,either1982,1992, or 2002.
Production number was 452
Yamaha have two dating systems,both of which repeat every ten years.
Probably Japanese made if older than 2002.
Most had a ply mahogany back/sides and some had a solid spruce top, most had ply tops.
Oddly, came with a hardshell case.
Well liked guitars but sadly not worth more than $200 -$300.
Good ones are hard to find.
Upto the mid 90's Yamaha guitars were made in Japan and had Nippn Gakki somewhere on the label.Usually a red label.
About 1995 Yamaha stopped Japanese production and the guitars were made in Taiwan.
Indonesia seems to be the last manufacturers.No lnger in production
Night Train is offline   Reply With Quote