Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 01-28-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
guitarbro11

guitarbro11 is a Proud Cross-Dresser
Question Best mid size tube amp.

I am looking for a mid sized tube amp for band practice and small gigs. I play a fender highway one stratocaster hss with lace sensor pickups. My band plays anything from blues to funk to acdc and gnr stuff, not really any metal. Im looking for as tube amp around 40 watts (combo amp). I need a amp that can be loud clean as a i generally get my dirt sounds from pedals. A footswitchable overdrive channel would be handy though. Ive been looking at the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112 and the Blackstar HT club 40. What amps do you guys suggest???
guitarbro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:32 AM   #2
DGW

DGW 's Parents ran away from home DGW 's Parents ran away from home

If you like to used pedals for dirt like I do..Go for the Hotrod Deville 2x12 60w..I had the 40w 1x12 and missed the extra headroom...Both sound great in the bedroom,,so to speak. You are going to love the clean ch,,so will your pedals. Personaly i dont use the drive ch at all
Yep, I'm a old school Ratt & Roller
DGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
guitarbro11

How heavy is the hot rod deville 212. Im only 14 years old so not very strong =/
Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Mr. G.
Grizzled Veteran

Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage

The Peavey Classic 30 (1x12) and Classic 50 (2x12) would suit your needs pretty good. I've owned both at one point in time.

Traynor also makes great amps that would suit your needs. I used to have a YCV-50 Blue, and it sounded great on it's own, or with pedals.

There's lots of amps out there that would work for you, but only you can decide which one is best. Another thing that will help us help you is to let us know what your budget is.

My band:
Facebook
Official Site
Mr. G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
ledbelly

ledbelly Has Penis Envy ledbelly Has Penis Envy ledbelly Has Penis Envy ledbelly Has Penis Envy ledbelly Has Penis Envy ledbelly Has Penis Envy

when iwas 14 i was lifting 250 on the bench 650 on the squat and 750 on the leg press dont blame your age,.obviously the 2x12 would be heavier but the extra headroom on the clean would help out in your situation
ledbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
SGman
It's never too loud

SGman is a Proud Cross-Dresser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G. View Post
The Peavey Classic 30 (1x12) and Classic 50 (2x12) would suit your needs pretty good. I've owned both at one point in time.
Ditto
Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
big_mak
Liquid Metal Rulz

big_mak 's Parents ran away from home big_mak 's Parents ran away from home

Carvin belair would do the trick.
big_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
guitarbro11

Ive seen the peavey amps, they look nice although lots of reviews say they (well at least the classic 30) breaks up at low volumes... the classic 50 might be a better bet??
Old 01-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #9
DGW

DGW 's Parents ran away from home DGW 's Parents ran away from home

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarbro11 View Post
How heavy is the hot rod deville 212. Im only 14 years old so not very strong =/
Its only 7 lbs more than the 1x12.. and worth it...You can get a small portable dolly,,some of them fold up..The reason for the Fender is you will always have that great clean tone to work from,,and since your a pedal guy you will want that extra headroom...Check this out this is my exact amp,,Devill w/2 Vintage 30s

Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 Guitar Amp MADE IN USA - eBay (item 260725929216 end time Jan-28-11 18:24:11 PST)
Yep, I'm a old school Ratt & Roller
DGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #10
Mr. G.
Grizzled Veteran

Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage Mr. G. has anal seepage

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarbro11 View Post
Ive seen the peavey amps, they look nice although lots of reviews say they (well at least the classic 30) breaks up at low volumes... the classic 50 might be a better bet??
Depends on your needs. I don't typically like a pristine clean tone, so I like my clean to be a little gritty when you dig down and put some pressure on the strings.

The Classic 50 does stay cleaner at higher volumes than the C30, but it also sounds a bit thinner than the C30. This isn't necessarily a bad things (just my way of describing what I hear. Someone else might describe it in a completely different way)... it really all depends on your tonal preferences. I loved both amps for different reasons.

My band:
Facebook
Official Site
Mr. G. is offline   Reply With Quote