Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

Old 03-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
drb471
ne fa skata

drb471 is a Proud Cross-Dresser
Default Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor; in front of the amp, or through effects loop?

I need to know the best way to get the absolute most out of the NS-2. It does its job for the most part, but I need it to cut MUCH quicker than it does. After stopping a song, there's a second of squeals or feedback before cutting in. Also, if I've got my gain boost activated, the NS-2 isn't effective at all. I run it straight in to the amp at the end of my pedal chain. Should I be running it through the loop instead?
Ibanez RG 320 DX
AMP
Peavey ValveKing 100
drb471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Manumanu

Manumanu is a Proud Cross-Dresser

From what I read out, a noise suppressor is most of time one of the last in the chain, right before the amp...

But I don't have one, I won't be able to tell you :/
Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
rudos1
the Deuce

rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates

A lot of people run it in the loop I would say it depends on the source of your noise is it your pedals or your preamp? If it's the pedals then in your chain, if it's the amp's gain stages try the loop...
Old 03-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #4
Manumanu

Manumanu is a Proud Cross-Dresser

If the noise come from your pedals, you can also look out for a loop bypass, like on roadrageprogear.com
Old 03-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
AustinKessler

AustinKessler is a Proud Cross-Dresser

I would put it in the loop seeing as how the noise most likely comes AFTER the pedals... what are your threshold controls as far as altering the ammount of noise reduction ?
AustinKessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
srinivassa
Confirmed Bachelor

srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born

That suppressor is designed to go in front, with any noisy pedals in it's loop. It works really really well if you do it this way. It's junk in the loop.

Right after compressor and/or wah/filter plug into the input of it. The output should go to your EQ (or whatever is right after booster/distortion). All of your booster/distortion pedals (almost always the noisiest) go into the loop of the pedal itself.

You can run almost 100% quiet if you do this. Note, I am using a generally accepted pedal order of wah/filter -> Compressor -> boost/OD/Distortion -> EQ -> modulation -> delay -> reverb. The main thing is to just keep all your dirt pedals together and put them in the loop of the noise gate. The normal part of the noise gate should just go from whatever was before your noisy pedals to whatever was after your noisy pedals.

This may sound tedious, but it really is an amazing noise solution. Probably never 100% clean but close.
srinivassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Ktulu

Ktulu is a Proud Cross-Dresser

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivassa View Post
That suppressor is designed to go in front, with any noisy pedals in it's loop. It works really really well if you do it this way. It's junk in the loop.

Right after compressor and/or wah/filter plug into the input of it. The output should go to your EQ (or whatever is right after booster/distortion). All of your booster/distortion pedals (almost always the noisiest) go into the loop of the pedal itself.

You can run almost 100% quiet if you do this. Note, I am using a generally accepted pedal order of wah/filter -> Compressor -> boost/OD/Distortion -> EQ -> modulation -> delay -> reverb. The main thing is to just keep all your dirt pedals together and put them in the loop of the noise gate. The normal part of the noise gate should just go from whatever was before your noisy pedals to whatever was after your noisy pedals.

This may sound tedious, but it really is an amazing noise solution. Probably never 100% clean but close.
Agreed

I had one of these and it barely did anything in my effects loop. I just put it in front of the amp and it works ok, but muted my effects too so I ditched it.
Ktulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
srinivassa
Confirmed Bachelor

srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born

It kills sustain, especially on the clean channel. I usually switch it off if I know I am going to play clean.
srinivassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
jhkim01

jhkim01 is a Proud Cross-Dresser

I have this pedal prior to the amp input, and it works great.
jhkim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
Abulldog

Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow

Usually you put them in front of the amp. If you're not running other pedals in the loop, then why even put it there? If you're running pedals in the loop and that's where the extra noise is coming from, then put it there. If your pickups are noisy, or your gain pedals are noisy, then put it in front.

I run all my effects in front of the amp. I put the noise suppressor after my wah, gain pedals, compressor or volume pedal. I put all modulation effects after the suppressor, unless those pedals are adding unwanted noise.
PRS Custom 24 Navarro sig w/ Lollar El Rayo/High Wind
Schecter C-1+ w/ Blackouts

Blackstar HT60. Fender '65 DRRI, Fargen Blackbird
Abulldog is offline   Reply With Quote