Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 05-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
BoxcarRacer

BoxcarRacer is a Proud Cross-Dresser
Default Whats it worth? Gibson Les Paul Special?

okay so i went to jingletown studios in oakland cali a few weeks ago in which green day owns and records at and they were selling 3 guitars.. 1 taylor 814ce that was smashed to bits.. a sg and a les paul special.. all of the guitars were owned by billie joe armstrong. The les paul special was billie joe armstrongs backstage guitar he used for 10 years. it has travled the world.. its a bit worn. comes with a 1980's gibson chainsaw case labled dressing room. and comes with 2 of the green day american idiot tour picks billie joe used.. what do you guys think its worth?
2006 Gibson Les Paul Junior BJA
2012 Gibson J45 TV
1985 JCM800 1959 100w Super lead
2012 Vox AC30C2 BRG
BoxcarRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
rudos1
the Deuce

rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates

tough call a lot of people will see the value in the fact that a rock star owned it over the inherint value in it as an instrument. I'd be shocked if it was under 2gs...
Old 05-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
static

static has disabled reputation

The sky is the limit. A 1 watt Marshall toy amp goes for $700, so you could pretty much name your price.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Battra
King of Discount Pedals

Battra is a Proud Cross-Dresser

I think the value is that it was Billie Joe's and therefore becomes what will a rabid Green Day fan pay for it?
Battra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
totenkopf13
Trouser Snake

totenkopf13 is a Proud Cross-Dresser

Agree.
totenkopf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
Abulldog

Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow

I've seen someone posting a Billie Joe Armstrong guitar for sale on Craigslist in the Bay Area, one listing saying he wants $10K for it. The truth is, is that being owned by a famous musician does NOT increase the value of the instrument, unless their is documented, legitimate proof that he owned it, not to mention the guitar better be signed with proof of athentication.

The studio selling the instruments is simply hoping that some crazy fan is gonna come in and buy the guitar, thinking it's gonna be worth huge bucks later on down the road, but if there is no proof of this, then the guitar is worth nothing more than what any old Gibson LP Special is worth.

Here's the latest posting of the guitar.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/msd/3014630520.html

So if this is the guitar in question, it's worth is between $500 and $700. You cannot prove that it was his guitar, so the value won't increase. Sorry if you paid more than that thinking you were going to make a quick buck or two. If the guitar was worth $4000, then that would mean there would be someone willing to pay that amount, but that's not going to happen. I've seen better guitars, signed by better guitar players, sold for less than $4000.... and this guitar isn't even signed.

All you have a cheap Gibson with a cool story, and that story will sell your guitar a bit faster than someone else's on eBay, but you won't get more than a few bucks over other, similar LP's. The only thing I can think of that will make this worth more than $700, is that it's a 1980's LP, so maybe that gives it more value, but I'm not sure about that.

Get the guitar signed by BJ, have that sig documented for authenticity, save your receipt from the guitar studio that you bought it from, and THEN, you'll have a guitar worth something.

Your only option is to go ahead and sell it on ebay with no reserve price and see what it sells for.

Also, here's a good indicator of what it's worth.... WHAT DID YOU PAY FOR IT!!! OR.... WHAT IS THE STUDIO'S ASKING PRICE!!!
PRS Custom 24 Navarro sig w/ Lollar El Rayo/High Wind
Schecter C-1+ w/ Blackouts

Blackstar HT60. Fender '65 DRRI, Fargen Blackbird

Last edited by Abulldog; 05-14-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Abulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
BoxcarRacer

hahaha i was the person who listed the guitar for 10,000. i deleted it because i noticed it was way to much and i had pple say it was worth only 2k-5k so i relisted it as taking offers.
2012 Gibson J45 TV
2012 Vox AC30C2 BRG
Old 05-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
Abulldog

Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow

Try selling it on ebay starting it at $1. Set a SUPER high reserve price and see if people start bidding on it. If it gets up to $4000, then maybe you contact the buyer and ask them if they are still interested, or you make a secondary ebay listing around what the price got up to.

I would REALLY try and get some sort of proof from the studio though. Maybe try and find someone who can authenticate it for you and take them to the studio and see if he can give you proof of authenticity. Get that documented and you have something worth maybe $1500, get it signed, then it's worth more.... wait until BJ dies, and you've got that $10K.... or more if he doesn't croak in the next 50 years, due to inflation, haha.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
Abulldog

What's the address of the studio?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
BoxcarRacer

Here is the website for the studio : http://www.jtrecording.com/

and yes good idea! i just HATE shipping things LOL! i would have chose ebay 1st but i hate shipping guitars! haha!

i was throwing around the idea of going to the studio and hiding for a little bit outside.. mabye i might see them when they walk out and get some some proof for re sale for this guitar (: i just live like 6 houres away from there LOL
2012 Gibson J45 TV
2012 Vox AC30C2 BRG