Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 07-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
srinivassa
Confirmed Bachelor

srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born
Default Neck Gloss vs. Satin

Does anyone have an opinion on this? A strong preference?

I am buying a new neck for my Strat, and I have a choice in finishes/woods. I can get a satin finish or a gloss finish with a maple or a rosewood board.

I am thinking that satin rosewood is my best bet. I like the left hand movement over satin finishes the best. All of my boards but one are a rosewood. The other is a gloss maple, which I really like the board on. It is slick a bit and takes bends really well. I don't like the back of the neck, as it can be a bit tacky when moving my left hand up and down.

And I'm going, shit. I don't know. I'd be really curious about a satin maple. I'd like the back of the neck better, but the board wouldn't be as slick and bendy. I guess gloss rosewood would probably be out, but the other 3 combinations still seem reasonable.

Has anybody yet completed their struggle with neck finishes? For some reason, I never thought about it until I started shopping for this Strat neck.
srinivassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
selftaught81

selftaught81 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking selftaught81 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Generally I prefer a satin finish but my prs has a gloss one that plays great even when you et clammy hands so have a good feel of the neck if possible and go for the one you prefer.
selftaught81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Parralax view

Parralax view Sucks butter from a skanks ass Parralax view Sucks butter from a skanks ass Parralax view Sucks butter from a skanks ass Parralax view Sucks butter from a skanks ass Parralax view Sucks butter from a skanks ass Parralax view Sucks butter from a skanks ass Parralax view Sucks butter from a skanks ass Parralax view Sucks butter from a skanks ass Parralax view Sucks butter from a skanks ass Parralax view Sucks butter from a skanks ass Parralax view Sucks butter from a skanks ass

Glossy to me depends solely on the material used to finish the neckback. Like the other poster, I have a gloss neckback PRS that is silky smooth and offers no resistance, on the other end, I have a gloss neckback maple neck strat that is almost unplayable in the summer due to tackiness and swear from my hands.

The satin still covers nicely and will take a while of playing before it glosses over from hand polishing.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Keith
Always here to help

Keith is Better at sex than anyone; now all they need is a partner Keith is Better at sex than anyone; now all they need is a partner Keith is Better at sex than anyone; now all they need is a partner Keith is Better at sex than anyone; now all they need is a partner Keith is Better at sex than anyone; now all they need is a partner Keith is Better at sex than anyone; now all they need is a partner Keith is Better at sex than anyone; now all they need is a partner Keith is Better at sex than anyone; now all they need is a partner Keith is Better at sex than anyone; now all they need is a partner Keith is Better at sex than anyone; now all they need is a partner Keith is Better at sex than anyone; now all they need is a partner

I prefer satin over gloss, but all my guitars are gloss and play just as well.

Work hard and do the very best you can in life, love and music. If you think you can, you will.

Just because it is, doesn't mean it HAS to be.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
blueshift1

blueshift1 is a Proud Cross-Dresser

I've always been partial to the maple/maple necks and I prefer a satan finish. I know gloss makes bends a bit easier, but I prefer to have my back not so slick and can still bend fine.

Fender Telecaster Highway One | Teisco Del Rey Tulip
Cordoba 50-R | Greg Bennet D11 CE
Fender Hotrod Deluxe 1x12 + Orange PPC112C
Roland JC-120
Orange Crush 10
EHX Big Muff Pi | Boss OS-2 | Boss DD-3 | Boss CS-3
blueshift1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
Thumpalumpacus
Paukenschlager

Thumpalumpacus Sleeps In Elvis Jammies Thumpalumpacus Sleeps In Elvis Jammies Thumpalumpacus Sleeps In Elvis Jammies Thumpalumpacus Sleeps In Elvis Jammies Thumpalumpacus Sleeps In Elvis Jammies Thumpalumpacus Sleeps In Elvis Jammies Thumpalumpacus Sleeps In Elvis Jammies

I prefer satin over gloss, and have taken 0000 steel wool to the backs of necks to take the gloss off.

For the fretboards, I really dislike finished maple. I prefer oiled wood there, and generally rosewood, unless it's a Tele -- I think Teles should have maple fbs.
Thumpalumpacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
srinivassa
Confirmed Bachelor

srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born srinivassa Is So Ugly The Doc Slapped His Mother When Born

I'm going to get the satin rosewood. It's out of stock, but it's the safest bet. I can make myself wait I guess. I'm doing a lot of minor acquisitions today and tomorrow, but the neck and associated do-dads will have to wait. It's a GFS neck I am thinking of. I decided it would have to be better quality than my current neck with the recessed fret ends. I'm going to try out a couple of their pedals in the process. I decided not to get a guitar at this point. If the quality of their gear continues to be good, I still have my eye on a purple HSS guitar for later this year.
srinivassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
Gunny

Gunny turns tricks for rep Gunny turns tricks for rep Gunny turns tricks for rep

On a satin finish neck with maple fretboard, the back is satin, and the fretboard is usually gloss. Perhaps you could enquire if this is the case.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Hammo25

Hammo25 is a Proud Cross-Dresser

Im a big fan of the satin back gloss maple fingerboard neck.
Hammo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
static

static has disabled reputation

I like the feel of satin but gloss doesn't bother me, and I think gloss looks better. Most of my guitars are satin but wasn't considered as a selling point. Most rosewood fretboards are not finished and feel similar to a satin finish.

Last edited by static; 07-20-2012 at 12:28 PM.
static is offline   Reply With Quote