Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
dawisch

dawisch is a Proud Cross-Dresser
Question How to wire dual humbuckers with 5 way lever switch

So I have a cheap strat that I'm converting from single coil to dual humbuckers. EMG Zakk Wylde 81/85 Humbucker Set to be specific.

I was hoping I could wire it up with the 5 way switch that was used with the single coils. In my search for how to wire it I found a site that showed wiring diagrams for the following (sorry I'm new so I cant post links yet):

2 Humbuckers 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way lever w/ South coil tap options
2 Humbuckers 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way lever w/ North coil tap options
2 Humbuckers 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way lever w/ coil tap options & Neck+Bridge humbuckers in position 3
2 Humbuckers 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way lever w/ hum canceling series, phase and tap options
2 Humbuckers 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way lever w/ parallel options in positions 2 & 4
2 Humbuckers 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way lever w/ hum canceling series & parallel options
2 Humbuckers 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way lever w/ PRS Switching-hum canceling series, parallel & tap options

I would be doing one volume, one tone, on 5 way lever switch. But I was confused by the part that says South Coil Tap or North Coil Tap and position 2, 4, and 3. Could someone explain to me what that all means? If it is something that can be configured to your own taste, I play punk/pop music and am not sure what the best setup would be. Thanks for the help.
dawisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
RedneckRage
Partscaster Guru

RedneckRage has disabled reputation

South Coil Tap Options would mean you can split the humbucker in a certain position, and use the bottom half of it as a single coil.

North Coil Tap is the same as above, except it refers to the top half of the humbucker.

Coil Tap Options & Neck+Bridge humbuckers in position 3 means.. Position 2 and 4 would be coil tapped.. And the middle selection (position 3) would be both humbuckers on.

I could go on more but I'm going to suggest something easier for you.
Pick up a 3 way select switch and use that instead. You can buy em for about 5-10 bucks and they'll make your life much more simple.
You'll get your basic options.. Neck Humbucker, Both, or Bridge Humbucker.

Personally, when you get into coil tapping (in my opinion).. It's much easier with push-pull pots on your guitar, rather than having it all wired to the pickup select switch.
RedneckRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Island Eddie
pure of heart, dim of wit

Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia

yeah with the lever it's too easy to unintentionally go into the single coils, by accident. Push pull way better system.

" You have you experience to believe in the pleasures of a heated toilet seat."

-Bun E. Carlos
Island Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Miracle Worker

Revenge of the Naked Ape For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Revenge of the Naked Ape For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Revenge of the Naked Ape For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Revenge of the Naked Ape For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Revenge of the Naked Ape For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Revenge of the Naked Ape For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Revenge of the Naked Ape For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Revenge of the Naked Ape For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Revenge of the Naked Ape For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Revenge of the Naked Ape For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON

I'd have to concur with these guys. My Telecaster Special came stock with a neck humbucker and a five way switch that would tap the humbucker in various ways as you moved through the positions. It's a neat idea and it does help keep the "clutter" down so to speak but in the real world it's really easy to miss the position you're shooting for or knock the switch out of the right position and nothing takes the wind out of you quite like expecting/needing a humbucker sound and getting a single coil instead.

In the end I ditched the five way switch and got a mini toggle to tap the humbucker with... it allows me a lot more switching options and a lot simpler to work with while I'm playing.

/2

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
RedneckRage
Partscaster Guru

RedneckRage has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge of the Naked Ape View Post
In the end I ditched the five way switch and got a mini toggle to tap the humbucker with... it allows me a lot more switching options and a lot simpler to work with while I'm playing.
That'll work too.. I recently added a push-pull to my one partscaster to split my bridge humbucker if I wanted to.. But I tossed around the mini toggle idea.. Only thing that sold me on the push-pull route is that I already had the pot here.
RedneckRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Island Eddie
pure of heart, dim of wit

Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia

Yeah, I liked the mini toggles on the Aria I had, there were two of them just beneath the main toggle for taps and phase. But if you have to put them in yourself, the push-pull is less labor intensive.

" You have you experience to believe in the pleasures of a heated toilet seat."

-Bun E. Carlos
Island Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
neillarson
noob

neillarson is a Proud Cross-Dresser

I have twin Min Hum HGs and they are wired like this:

Position 1: Full neck pickup
Position 2: Inside coils of the neck and bridge pickups in parallel (skinny, funky neck tone)
Position 3: Full neck pickup with the inside coil of the bridge pickup (adds fatness and drives the amp a little harder for extra crunch)
Position 4: Inside coil of each pickup in series (creating the effect of a super-wide humbucker and producing a truly unique tone)
Position 5: Full bridge pickup

I am trying to trace down my diagram now.