Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #1
pinkpanther

pinkpanther is a Proud Cross-Dresser
Default Charvel San Dimas vs Carvin Bolt (what's the real dif?)

Both are metal and wood with bolt on necks.
Both are made in America.
Charvel's around $2,000 and the carvin around $600.

Can anyone really tell me there is a $1,400 difference in the quality of the Charvel's woods and electronics? I don't get it.

pinkpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
Cobalt

Cobalt refuses to wear pants when grocery shopping Cobalt refuses to wear pants when grocery shopping Cobalt refuses to wear pants when grocery shopping Cobalt refuses to wear pants when grocery shopping Cobalt refuses to wear pants when grocery shopping Cobalt refuses to wear pants when grocery shopping Cobalt refuses to wear pants when grocery shopping Cobalt refuses to wear pants when grocery shopping Cobalt refuses to wear pants when grocery shopping Cobalt refuses to wear pants when grocery shopping Cobalt refuses to wear pants when grocery shopping

No middleman with Carvin.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
pinkpanther

pinkpanther is a Proud Cross-Dresser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
No middleman with Carvin.
True.

I just remembered years ago Guitar Center sold Charvel's and they were about $800 list, which meant about $650-$700 out the door. Think they were all made in San Dimas back then so they did not brand that name on them. I always liked their necks, but those paint jobs from the early 80's were horrible. Circles and stripes ect.

pinkpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
Desmond
Weekend Warrior

Desmond turns tricks for rep Desmond turns tricks for rep Desmond turns tricks for rep

The biggest different will be the feel of the neck. The pickups are probably better in the Charvel too, but you've gotta remember that Carvin sells direct, whereas Charvel goes through middle-men.

Carvin would probably be the better deal, unless you're really dying to pay for the name.

Live to love others and better their lives, or die knowing you wasted your own.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Uses Tampons As Earplugs MrHarryReems Uses Tampons As Earplugs MrHarryReems Uses Tampons As Earplugs MrHarryReems Uses Tampons As Earplugs

I have a 1986 Jackson (Charvel/Grover Jackson used to be the same shop) San Dimas custom shop guitar

I also have a Carvin custom shop.

Both are *great* guitars. Overall, I prefer the neck profile on the Jackson, however, the Carvin is a LOT more guitar. It's much more versatile. Also consider this: The bolt kit is unassembled. It's a kit. The Charvel will be a complete guitar in your hands, ready to rock and roll.

Either way, you'll be getting a great guitar. It's just going to depend on what you're after and willing to spend.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
jander

jander is a Proud Cross-Dresser

love my Charvel San Dimas!"theres the pic of it as my avatar" i was lucky enough to get an american made production model before they started making them in Japan again