Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 05-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #21
Donnie B.
Banned

Donnie B. Uses Tampons As Earplugs Donnie B. Uses Tampons As Earplugs Donnie B. Uses Tampons As Earplugs Donnie B. Uses Tampons As Earplugs

^^^^

From my experience VHT doesn't do the clean thing very well at all. One of the least touch responsive amps I've ever owned.

They nail the high gain thing though. I had the Pitbull 30.
Donnie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
kentaku_sama
The Piano Dog

kentaku_sama The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking kentaku_sama The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Sigh, musical equipment is too expensive.
Yeah, ok, I think I'm in more need of a microphone though. Gonna get the blue nessie mic.

I'll save up for a better one cuz me and this guy are starting a print illustration and design business this summer.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
kumachan
Imaginary Rock star

kumachan Confuses Ass and Elbow kumachan Confuses Ass and Elbow kumachan Confuses Ass and Elbow kumachan Confuses Ass and Elbow kumachan Confuses Ass and Elbow kumachan Confuses Ass and Elbow

that's the opposite of what i found with the classic 18. i thought it was highly touch sensitive, it's one of my fav things about it. i'll admit that when dimed, you need to back off on the guitar's vol a touch to get cleans. but most amps dimed, are the same way. for blues and classic rock, it's a good amp. for that kinda music you only need to get so clean anyhow. it's not smooth jazz.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #24
bluespkr

bluespkr is a Proud Cross-Dresser

Peavey valve king 112
not sure of the price range but a pretty kick ass little amp

Currahee!
bluespkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #25
jtees4

jtees4 has disabled reputation

Consider used. $300 can get a nice Crate 3112, or possibly a Peavey Classic 30 or 20. Both great amps IMHO.
jtees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #26
tuckertone

tuckertone is a Proud Cross-Dresser

If all you're going to have is 300 dollars it's going to be very hard to find a tube amp. I would advise against the hybrids, even though they are a step up from solid state, they still lack the the magic that's tube power. You do have some options for tube amps, they'll be all small wattage like 5w, but you can find a few things on net. Ibanez makes a head for about 300 thats all tube, The Fender Super Champ x2, Fender Excelsior, Ampeg has one, Vox AC4. . .the list goes on. I would recommend if you are close to a larger city searching out small wattage tube amps on craigslist. Just make sure when they say tube that it has a tube preamp section and power section.
tuckertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #27
RedneckRage
Partscaster Guru

RedneckRage has disabled reputation

Blackheart BH5H and 1x12 or the combo version can be had for 300 or less, used. Great head for the money. I'd suggest a tube upgrade as soon as you get it, though.
RedneckRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #28
Abo
Mr Bastad aka Cheeky

Abo Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation Abo Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation Abo Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation Abo Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation Abo Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation Abo Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation Abo Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation Abo Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Not read all the posts but the 5w for a gig yes you could Mic up and it could sound great out front my concern - headroom and mix on stage . Yes you could go through monitors but it's then in there against the vocals etc . Food for thought
Old 06-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #29
Island Eddie
pure of heart, dim of wit

Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentaku_sama View Post
Anyone know of a great amp for all styles? I'm too versatile and can't afford but one amp.
I wanna do jazz, rock, some metal, punk rock, some blues ect...

I want an amp that has an amazing clean overdrive tone but can also play amazing heavy rock tones.
Roland Cube 40XL.

Not tube, but sounds great and will do all those things you mention with ease, and you can get a 40 watt with built in attenuator for $250. Another $50 or $60 will throw in a FS6 dual footswitch, making quick changes and effects easily accessible on the fly (while playing.)

I know I always say the same thing for this q, but that's cause the Cube is the best (non tube) affordable amp on the market, imho.

Great cleans on JC & Black Panel models, Bluesy dirt on Brit Combo model and face melting on R'Fier model. Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremelo, Octave, Delay, Reverb, Looper etc. line out rec, h'phones and line in (mp3.) Plus an acoustic sim.

Can also be useful for acoustic electrics and even bass/keyboard uses. Lightweight and packs serious volume, with bedroom levels still attainable.

best bang for buck under $300, period.

OR for $300, you can get a Street Cube, which is stereo and runs for about 8 hours straight on 6 AA batteries. Also 2 ch/input with 1/4" & XLR. You can use both at the same time for solo performing (vocals and guitar/keys.)

" You have you experience to believe in the pleasures of a heated toilet seat."

-Bun E. Carlos

Last edited by Island Eddie; 06-04-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Island Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #30
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer stares at orange juice cartons because it says concentrate Sixstringplayer stares at orange juice cartons because it says concentrate Sixstringplayer stares at orange juice cartons because it says concentrate Sixstringplayer stares at orange juice cartons because it says concentrate Sixstringplayer stares at orange juice cartons because it says concentrate Sixstringplayer stares at orange juice cartons because it says concentrate Sixstringplayer stares at orange juice cartons because it says concentrate Sixstringplayer stares at orange juice cartons because it says concentrate Sixstringplayer stares at orange juice cartons because it says concentrate Sixstringplayer stares at orange juice cartons because it says concentrate Sixstringplayer stares at orange juice cartons because it says concentrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumachan View Post
Very cool
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote