Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Bass

Old 02-09-2016, 12:54 AM   #1
Reverse Flash

Reverse Flash Just getting started
Default Bass guitar for beginner (but not beginner on guitar)

I'm thinking of getting into bass at some point. What would be a good bass guitar to start with for someone who can already play the guitar?

And do bass guitars need to be as expensive or fancy as acoustic or electric guitars? Or can they be relatively simple? Is there that much difference in the tones? I just want one that stays in tune and plays well. As long as it is decent, I'm not too fussed about the make, but obviously don't want something that would be so low quality either.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
Reverse Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:38 AM   #2
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

I select basses the same way I pick guitars; I try everything I can get my hands on in my price range and go with whatever one makes my sticker peck out.

That said, you don't need to get super fancy and there are a lot of really great bargain basses out there. Go for what plays well and sounds good to you for now; you can always upgrade later if it sticks/is necessary.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:56 AM   #3
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I would get a 4 string bass. Something similar to a Freder Precision Bass in design. I gig with a Peavey Fury bass and it's pretty good. My friend has a Squier Affinity Precision Bass that I like a lot, I offered to purchase it from him if he ever wants to sell. Another friend has a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special with active pickups that I also like. I've played the inexpensive Yamaha basses and think that they are pretty good too.

What you really need is a bass amplifier. You can practice using a guitar amplifier at low volume but for jam sessions with friends and gigs you'll need an anp and speaker that are designed for bass. At gig volume you might burn out the speaker in a guitar amp. I gig with an Acoustic b30 amp, it's 33 pounds, 12 inch speaker and fits in my little car. It works well for home practice and gigs with a little country band, loud enough for about 50 people. My friend has a Kustom 20 watt amp that he says is identical to my Acoustic amp. The Peavey MAX15 is good, it is a little heavy (about 55 pounds) but has a 15 inch speaker, built in tuner and 300 watts.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
Reverse Flash

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look into them.

I have a Roland Cube 20GX guitar amp. It's not a tube amp. Wouldn't I be able to use a bass guitar with that? It's a 20 watt 8 inch speaker.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o02_s00

Also, what do people think of this jazz bass?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

It seems to have good reviews. I'm not too familiar with Lindo though. It's not too expensive either - about 150. Is that a price at which I can get a decent bass?

And what's the difference between a jazz bass and a normal bass? Is there anything special sounding about it?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

I'm not familiar with the Lindo brand, but I can see in the ad that it only has one master volume controlling 2 pickups. What's going to happen is limitations on tones. If it was wired to have 2 volumes and a master tone, you could get more out of it by picking the pickups you want to use. The neck pup will bring a warmer tone ala Blues, Funk, Jazz, Classic Rock, whereas the bridge will give a brighter attack. If they can be blended, you get the the best of both worlds.

A Jazz Bass has 2, 8 pole single coils. One at the bridge, and half way up the body with one master volume and 2 tone controls.

A P Bass (precision) has 2 , 4 pole split singles mid-way up the body with one master volume and one master tone.

A P/J (Precision/Jazz) is a blend of both. One single coil 8 pole in the bridge, and 2 split single coil 4 poles in half way up with 2 master volumes, and one master tone.

I prefer the P/J configuration. It just has more going for it.

I would look into Ibanez if you want decent play-ability for a really good price.

I have an Ibanez GSR-200 (P/J config)I picked it up used and in brand new condition for $75, and it's my main Bass for everything from practice, to rehearsal, to recording to gigging and it's never let me down.

The Roland..You could use it for practicing or noodling, but you're not going to get decent Bass tones out of guitar amp that only has an 8" speaker. The tone controls, the cab design and the speaker are not voiced for Bass.

If an 8" speaker is what you're looking for, Fender Rumble series amps are pretty good at delivering Bass. The Rumble 25 would be perfect. It's small, weighs 21 pounds and is 25 watts (RMS). I wouldn't use it for gigging though. It's not loud enough to cut through the mix when played in a full band scenario.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

DISCLAIMER: I am not a bass player. This is something I got to noodle bass parts with.

I picked one of these up last year. I can't find anything wrong or limiting with it, but see disclaimer above.

http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm...estone%20Ivory

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
Reverse Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'm not familiar with the Lindo brand, but I can see in the ad that it only has one master volume controlling 2 pickups. What's going to happen is limitations on tones. If it was wired to have 2 volumes and a master tone, you could get more out of it by picking the pickups you want to use. The neck pup will bring a warmer tone ala Blues, Funk, Jazz, Classic Rock, whereas the bridge will give a brighter attack. If they can be blended, you get the the best of both worlds.

A Jazz Bass has 2, 8 pole single coils. One at the bridge, and half way up the body with one master volume and 2 tone controls.

A P Bass (precision) has 2 , 4 pole split singles mid-way up the body with one master volume and one master tone.

A P/J (Precision/Jazz) is a blend of both. One single coil 8 pole in the bridge, and 2 split single coil 4 poles in half way up with 2 master volumes, and one master tone.

I prefer the P/J configuration. It just has more going for it.

I would look into Ibanez if you want decent play-ability for a really good price.

I have an Ibanez GSR-200 P/J. I picked it up used and in brand new condition for $75, and it's my main Bass for everything from practice, to rehearsal, to recording to gigging and it's never let me down.

The Roland..You could use it for practicing or noodling, but you're not going to get decent Bass tones out of guitar amp that only has an 8" speaker. The tone controls, the cab design and the speaker are not voiced for Bass.

If an 8" speaker is what you're looking for, Fender Rumble series amps are pretty good at delivering Bass. The Rumble 25 would be perfect. It's small, weighs 21 pounds and is 25 watts (RMS). I wouldn't use it for gigging though. It's not loud enough to cut through the mix when played in a full band scenario.
Thanks for the explanation and the suggestions. I'll look into those. Would the Ibanez be officially called the Ibanez GSR-200 P/J, or will it not have that P/J designation on the end? There are some here on Amazon. Are any of these like your one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...Ibanez+GSR-200

Thinking about the Roland Cube, I'm just going off the description on the Amazon website regarding the size of speaker. But recalling it from memory, it can't possibly be 8 inches, because that is not big at all, and I don't ever recall it being that small. I think it must be at least 10 or 12 inches.

Also, what is a classic bass colour? Black? Sunburst? I think I'm not too fond of the sunburst personally.

Last edited by Reverse Flash; 02-09-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

It won't have the P/J designation. It's Ibanez GSR200. The GSR200 is the designation for the P/J config.

This is the one I have:

I had it custom vinyl wrapped, so it doesn't look like this one anymore.

The Roland's you're thinking of were the Cube's made back in the 80's.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #9
Reverse Flash

Thanks. I probably wouldn't get white myself as that could get dirty. Maybe black?

Well the Roland cube I'm thinking of that I specifically have is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ROLAND-CUBE-...LAND+CUBE-20GX

Not those ones made in the 1980s. I just don't think the one I have is only 8 inches as it seems bigger than that.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #10
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Yup, yours has the 8".
http://www.roland.ca/products/cube-20gx/

• 20-watt guitar amp with custom-designed 8-inch speaker
  • Three channels: JC CLEAN, LEAD (six different types), and SOLO
  • SOLO channel is fully programmable, allowing you to save and recall JC CLEAN or LEAD sound type plus EQ and effects settings
  • Three independent effects sections: EFX (five types), DELAY, and REVERB
  • Hands-free channel switching with optional BOSS FS-5U or FS-6 footswitches
  • i-CUBE LINK jack provides simple audio interfacing with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (interface cable included)
  • Free CUBE JAM app for iOS plays songs and minus-one jam tracks, and lets you record the CUBE-20GX’s tones along with music playback
  • Three-band EQ; built-in chromatic/manual tuner
  • RECORDING OUT/PHONES jack for silent practice and direct recording