Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 08-26-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
fingershreds

fingershreds is a Proud Cross-Dresser
Default Your Thoughts On Basswood vs. Alder wood

So what do you guys think?
a big difference?
or just a small one.

me personally i couldn't tell you because i haven't tried both.
fingershreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Ashven
Nonrelevant.

Ashven Has Anal Warts Ashven Has Anal Warts Ashven Has Anal Warts Ashven Has Anal Warts Ashven Has Anal Warts Ashven Has Anal Warts Ashven Has Anal Warts

If you haven't tried them, it's kind of a moot point to explain.

But I'll try.

Okay, basswood seems to come in two different flavours - the dense growl machine, or the "thin" cheapo guitar body. Basswood has its qualities, I assure you! But you should be careful to try and get a heavier body (it feels denser when you knock on it).

Alder is a classic, and Fender uses the hell out of it. My alder SX had a really nice chirpy-sustain to it, even though it had a FR. Generally, alder sounds good regardless of price, so I'm of the opinion it's kind of dense. It also has the benefit of making any guitar sound better to a prospective buyer.

Both are very good, depending on the cuts of wood and the workmanship involved (and whether or not you've got a gaping hole in the body due to FR). I've owned both, and I would buy both. No particular preference, here.
Ashven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
fingershreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
If you haven't tried them, it's kind of a moot point to explain.

But I'll try.

Okay, basswood seems to come in two different flavours - the dense growl machine, or the "thin" cheapo guitar body. Basswood has its qualities, I assure you! But you should be careful to try and get a heavier body (it feels denser when you knock on it).

Alder is a classic, and Fender uses the hell out of it. My alder SX had a really nice chirpy-sustain to it, even though it had a FR. Generally, alder sounds good regardless of price, so I'm of the opinion it's kind of dense. It also has the benefit of making any guitar sound better to a prospective buyer.

Both are very good, depending on the cuts of wood and the workmanship involved (and whether or not you've got a gaping hole in the body due to FR). I've owned both, and I would buy both. No particular preference, here.

thank you so much.
really the point of this thread was to help me decide between two guitar i have in mind.
they would be my first electric and they are both the same except for the types of wood.
its a 60 dollar upgrade basically for the alder wood
being that its my first and i need to try both out i might as well go for the bass wood.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
Organtis

Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring

If your talking Affinity vs. Bullet.... Id still go Affinity
Organtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:02 AM   #5
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee can suck a golf ball through a garden hose Rustee can suck a golf ball through a garden hose Rustee can suck a golf ball through a garden hose Rustee can suck a golf ball through a garden hose Rustee can suck a golf ball through a garden hose Rustee can suck a golf ball through a garden hose Rustee can suck a golf ball through a garden hose Rustee can suck a golf ball through a garden hose Rustee can suck a golf ball through a garden hose Rustee can suck a golf ball through a garden hose Rustee can suck a golf ball through a garden hose

Strictly regarding the differences of the wood, take a look at this guide to tonewoods. It covers most woods used in guitars, and conveniently for you, those two are the first two covered.

Forum Moderator
Rustee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:29 AM   #6
fingershreds

hey guys got my first electric last night, its a affinity stratocaster.
no humbucker which is not that great but im fine with it for now
Old 08-28-2010, 02:12 AM   #7
Organtis

Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring Organtis Wears butt-plug as nose ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingershreds View Post
hey guys got my first electric last night, its a affinity stratocaster.
no humbucker which is not that great but im fine with it for now
Thats ok, just put it in position 2 and squirt water in both ears, it will sound just like an SG.

Congratz on the guitar, I am sure you are thinking about sleeping with it tonight. Don't the strings on the tuning pegs are sharp.

Oh btw, when you get a couple of posts we need pictures. Is it red with rosewood?

Last edited by Organtis; 08-28-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Organtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #8
fingershreds

no its not red
but it was weird i went over to my buddy's house and i saw the strat
i asked if he plays and he said he used to and he hadnt touched it atleast a year
so i asked if i could buy it and he sold it to me for 50 bucks
i was stoked
yeah but its black though
Old 08-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
stormin1155

stormin1155 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking stormin1155 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Both are good tonewoods, and sonically not that different. They both provide a more neutral tone, as opposed to Mahogany (thicker, darker tone) or Maple (brighter). Basswood gets sort of a bad rap because it is used a lot on cheaper guitars (because it is cheap and plentiful). That doesn't mean it is bad. The only things I have against it is that it is soft (dents easily) and isn't really that attractive, so you probably want to paint rather than stain/varnish. It is very light... some people like that feature, some don't.

You got a great deal BTW.... congratulations!

Last edited by stormin1155; 08-29-2010 at 12:16 PM.
stormin1155 is offline   Reply With Quote